Kelly's Directory - Chittlehampton - 1910
Transcribed by Lindsey Withers
CHITTLEHAMPTON is a parish and village on the river Taw, 3 ½ miles north-east from Umberleigh Bridge station on the North Devon branch of the London and South Western railway (which is in this parish) 5 west from South Molton and 8 south-east from Barnstaple, in the northern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of South Molton, rural deanery of South Molton, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Hieritha is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells, 6 of which, cast in 1739, were given by Samuel Rolle, esq. of Hudscott; the remaining two were added in 1879: the north chancel aisle has a good panelled roof: the stone pulpit, of the same period as the tower, is adorned with carved figures of saints under canopies; and the east and west windows are stained: in the north transept is an altar-tomb with effigies, and two kneeling figures (male and female) below, and an inscription to John Giffard esq. of Brightley, and Honor, his wife, and their children, erected in 1625 by John Giffard, his grandson: in the north aisle of the chancel is a recumbent effigy of a lady, with inscription to Mistress Grace Giffard, ob. 1667: there are other fine monuments to the Rolle and Giffard familes, including inscribed stones to Caesar Giffard esq. d. 1715; John Giffard, of Atherington, d. 1725, and Elizabeth, his wife; John Giffard esq. of Dublin, d. 1819, and Sir Ambrose Giffard kt. Chief Justice of Ceylon, d. 1827: on the floor of the chancel are brasses, with effigies and inscriptions to John Cobleigh, Isabella, his wife, ob. 1 Oct. 1446, and Joan, his wife, ob. 30 Sept. 1480; and to Henry Cobleigh, ob. 30 July 1470, and Alice, his wife: there are also memorials to the Morris and Saunder families: the church was restored in 1871-4, at a cost of over £4,000, when an organ was given by Miss Trefusis, and a new lych-gate by Mrs Short in memory of her husband, J. B. Short esq. who died at Hudscott: there are 450 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1575; marriages and burials, 1576 and the earliest entries are those of the Saunder family. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value $403, with residence and 41 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Clinton, and held since 1906 by the Rev. Charles William Bate M.A. of Hertford College, Oxford. There are mission churches at Umberleigh and Clappery Mill… There is also a Wesleyan chapel, and a United Methodist chapel at Blakewell. There are charities of £40 yearly value, derived from church lands in Alverdiscott and one of £1 yearly for the poor, arising from a gift made in 1887 by W. H. Kelland esq. of Kelland, Lapford, as a memorial to his mother, the representative of the Saunder family. Near the village, on the South Molton road, is an ancient stone cross, standing on a lofty pedestal, and near Brightley, on the road to Warkleigh, is one of larger size. Brightley Park has been ploughed over and the remains of the mansion converted into a farm; the walls of the ancient domestic chapel are still standing and a portion of the moat still remains. AMBOW and BIDDACOTT are out-lying hamlets. The second is the property of Captain J. Saltren-Willett, of Monkleigh. Newton was purchased in 1663 by Arthur Saunder esq. the representative of an ancient family who had been resident here from 1542 to 1864: North Newton belongs, by inheritance from her mother (a Saunder) to Miss Eleanor Kelland, of Southsea. Bradbury, formerly the residence of the Saunder family, now belongs to Earl Fortescue. Hudscott was formerly held by the Venners, and after them by the Rolle family: Samuel Rolle gave the property in the 18th century to Dennis Rolle esq. of Stevenstone and Bicton, who founded schools in this and the parishes of Bicton and Otterton; his son, the late Lord Rolle, was born at Hudscott. Hawkridge belongs to John Fleming esq. of Bigadon. George Saunder esq. of Warwickshire and John Troke esq. of Morchard Bishop, still possess land here by inheritance, and represent the old Saunder family. The manor, which formerly belonged to the Clares, ancestors of Lady de Bathe, is now the property of Lord Clinton, in whose family it has been for 180 years. Brightley was for seven centuries the property of the Giffards of warren family; it now belongs with the barton of Head, to Lord Clinton. Lord Clinton, the Earl fortescue and Mrs Bater are the chief landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil is principally schistous rock. The chief crops are oats, barley and turnips. The area is 5,924 acres of land and 30 of water; rateable value, £6,044; the population in 1901 was 996 in the civil and 1,082 in the ecclesiastical parish.
By a Local Government Board Order, 16,346, which came into operation March 25, 1884, a detached part of this parish known as Leary was amalgamated with West Buckland for civil purposes, but ecclesiastically it still remains a part of Chittlehampton.
Eastacott is a hamlet 1 ½ miles south-west.
Sexton, William Chapple.
Post, M. O. & T. Office. - James Lewis, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Umberleigh, Devon. The mail arrives at 6.40 a.m.; dispatched at 10.50 a.m. & 7 p.m. No Sunday delivery of letters.
Post Office, Umberleigh (Letters should have Devon added). - Thomas William Murch, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive at 4.45 a.m; dispatched 7.50 p.m. No Sunday delivery. The nearest money order office is at Chittlehampton. The telegraph office is at Umberleigh railway station, which is closed on Sundays.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1865, for 200 children; average attendance, 145; & endowed with £10 4s. by the late Lord Rolle; William Edwin Brockman, master.
Railway Station, Umberleigh, Frederick Henry Brazier, station master.
Carrier Barnstaple. - William Down, Fri. only.
Balmen John, Cleave
Bate Rev. Charles William M.A. Vicarage
Nott Alfred, Bradbury
Skinner Mrs. Bloden hill
Thorold George Aubrey William M.A., J.P., Hudscott
Arscott Ernest, farmer, Eastacott
Ashelford Wm., nurseryman, Furze
Balman Richard, farmer, Shilstone
Bendle Charles, farmer, South Bray
Breayley John Robt. farmer, Ash frm
Brealey William James, saddler &c
Buckingham Alice (Mrs.), baker
Buckingham Jas. farmer, Furze barn
Burgess John, farmer, Bratton
Burgess John, farmer, Moor
Burgess John, jun. butcher
Cheriton Henry, farmer, Bradbury
Cole James, baker & grocer
Congram Fredk. frmr. Little Diptford
Crocker John, farmer, North Nethercleave
Crocker Samuel, farmer, Eastacott
Down Geo. farmer, Hawkbridge Barton
Downing Geo. farmer, Brightley Barton
Dyer William, farmer, Tree Down
Ellicott Jas. farmer, Parsonage farm
Facey Thos, John, frmr. Gambuston
Gardner William Squire, road surveyor to the South Molton Rural District Council & assistant overseer
Grimshire Arthur, farmer, Lerwell
Harris John, farmer, North Newton
Harris Thomas, farmer, Diptford
Haywood William, farmer, Caveyland & Oldridge
Hooper Frederick, builder
Howard John Richard, carpenter & insurance agent
Howard Richard, farmer, Higher Blakewell & Nethercleave
Huxham Wm. Hy. frmr. Gt. Whitestone
Huxtable John, carpenter
Jones Herbert Henry, farmer, Lower Langaton
Lock James, farmer, Langaton
Manaton John, thatcher, Watergate
Manaton John Henry, accountant
Mildon Henry, farmer, Hallswell
Mules George, tailor
Murch Bros. wheelwrights, Umberleigh
Murch Albert, machinist, Newark
Murch James, coal merchant
Murch Thomas William, wheelwright, Post office, Umberleigh
Muxworthy William, miller (water), Ford mills
National Deposit Friendly Society (James Lewis, district sec)
Nott Louis, farmer, Collacott
Pope Thomas Henry, miller (water), Clapworthy mills
Rawle Henry, cattle doctor
Rendle William, farmer, Narracott
Sanders, Edwin, dairyman
Seldon John, shoe maker, Dorridge
Skinner Jn. Baker, carpenter, Brimley
Skinner Susan (Miss), shopkeeper
Slape Inkerman George Southy, farmer, South Newton
Smolden Jas. farmer, Higher Bittacott
Smolden Robt. carpenter, Broden hill
Smolden William (Mrs.), farmer, Fullabrook
Snow John, farmer, Furze
Snow Thomas, farmer, Furze
Tallamy Wm. farmer, Bloden hill
Tucker Richard, jobbing gardener
Vicary Frederick George, Bell P.H.
Vickery Richard Hunt, blacksmith
Ward Henry, mason
Watts Carder, mason
Watts Mary Judith (Miss), shopkeeper
Watts Thomas, farmer, Collytown
Watts Thomas, stone mason
Watts Wm. seed merchant, Ivor cot
Webber Phillip, shoe maker
Woolaway William, farmer, Coombe
Working Men's club (John Henry Manaton, sec)