A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CHITTLEHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of SOUTH-MOLTON, county of DEVON, 5¼ miles (W.) from South Molton, containing 1748 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £34. 18. 11., and in the patronage of Lord Rolle. The church, dedicated to St. Urith, is a handsome structure, with a fine tower in the later style of English architecture, containing a pulpit richly carved with figures of saints and vine leaves, besides some interesting monuments. Culm is obtained in the parish; and limestone is found enclosed in a bed of thick slate, or flag-stone. At Brightley are some remains of an ancient mansion and a chapel.