"CHURCH-STANTON, or Church-Staunton, a scattered village, on an eminence near the Black Down Hills, and the borders of Somersetshire, and the sources of the river Culm, 10 miles N. by E. of Honiton, and 8 miles S. of Taunton, has in its parish 1086 inhabitants, and 4980 acres of freehold land. The village is in four portions called Churchinford, Stapley, Red Lane, and Burnworthy. . . . Messrs. Bush are lords of the manor, but the greater part of the soil belongs to Wm. Beadon, Jun., Esq., Capt. White, the Earl of Devon, Mr. Richd. Blackmore, Mr. Henry Smith, and several smaller freeholders. Roystone House is the pleasant seat of Capt. John White. The manor anciently belonged to the Tudenham family, and afterwards to the Damarell, Bonville, Clifton, Clarke, Popham and Southwood families. . . . The Church (St. Paul,) is a fine Gothic structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . In the parish are two chapels, belonging to the Baptists and the Wesleyans. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Churchstanton transferred from Devon to Somerset and from the diocese of Exeter to that of Bath & Wells in 1896.