Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Churchstow 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CHURCHSTOW

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.


CHURCHSTOW, a small village on an eminence, 2 miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, has in its parish 542 souls, and 1877 acres of land, including the small hamlet of Venn and Kingsbridge Union Workhouse, as afterwards noticed. P. S. Lowe, Esq., is lord of the manor, formerly belonging to the Petres, and has a pleasant here called White Hall; but part of the parish belongs to John Savery, Esq., and a few smaller freeholders. Ley or Leigh is an ancient house, formerly belonging to the Hayes, Aldhams, and Bickfords. The Church (St. Mary,) has a lofty tower and four bells, and is an ancient structure, in the perpendicular style. It was restored, cleansed, and beautified in 1849, at the cost of about £900. The east window is enriched with stained glass, and the whole interior has now a handsome appearance, the old pews having given place to open benches, and the new windows, &c., being in unison with the general character of the building. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 16s. 11d., and in 1831 at £126, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Luney, M.A., who has 7A. 3R. 3P. of glebe, and a good residence at Kingsbridge. The great tithes were commuted in 1839 for £328 per annum. They formerly belonged to Buckfast Abbey, and now to Ackland's Charity. Two houses and several plots of land, vested for the repairs of the church, are let for about £17 per annum. From Acland's Charity, the vicar has £3. 6s. 8d., and the poor £2. 12s. yearly. The poor have also an annuity of 20s., left by John Peter, out of the tithes of Cornworthy.

DIRECTORY

Hill Wm. carpenter
Lowe Peter Stanley, Esq., White Hall
Lidstone John, blacksmith
Lidstone Wm. vict. Church House
Luney Rev Rd., M.A., vicar, Kingsbdg
Savery John, Esq. East Venn
Stear Wm. veterinary surgeon

FARMERS. (* are Owners)

Brown Samuel
Crocker Mr
Crimp Thos.
Dare Jno., Norton
Farley Jno., Venn
Foale John, Venn
Foale Philip
Foale Robert
Harris Edw., Ley
* Hodge Rt., Pool
Hurrell Peter
Huxham Saml., Lordswood
Lethbridge John
Lethbridge Wm.
Luscombe Rd., Elston
Moysey John
Pepperell Richd.
* Stear Roger

SHOEMAKERS.

Barnes John
Helyer Edward