[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"CHURCHSTOW, a parish in the hundred of Stanborough, in the county of Devon, 2 miles N.W. of Kingsbridge, its post town, and 10 from Totnes. It is situated near the river Avon and the South Devon railway, which has a station at Kingsbridge-road. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value with the vicarage of Kingsbridge annexed, £200, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice. It contains several stained-glass windows, and has lately been repaired. P. S. Lowe, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at White Hall, a fine mansion, beautifully situated on the banks of the Avon."
"VENN, a hamlet in the parish of Churchstow, county Devon, 2 miles N.W. of Kingsbridge."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003