A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CHURCHSTOW, a parish in the hundred of STANBOROUGH, county of DEVON, 1¾ mile (N. W. by W.) from Kingsbridge, containing 316 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to that of Kingsbridge, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £16. 16. 11., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The great tithes, which formerly belonged to the abbot of Buckfastleigh, are now vested in the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The river Avon bounds the parish on the north-west.