[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"CLAWTON, a parish in the hundred of Black Torrington, in the county of Devon, 3 miles S. of Holsworthy, its post town. It is situated on the river Claw, which joins the Tamar. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £75, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Melhuish. The church is an ancient building, with a tower. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have places of worship. The charities produce about £2 per annum. Here is an excellent quarry of freestone."