A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CLAWTON, a parish in the hundred of BLACK-TORRINGTON, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (S.) from Holsworthy, containing 534 inhabitants. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £1600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rev. T. Melhuish, jun. There is good stone for building in this neighbourhood.