"CLAYHANGER, or Cleyhanger, a small scattered village, on the borders of Somerset and Devon, 4½ miles E.N.E. of Bampton, and S.W. of Wivelscombe, has in its parish 294 souls, and 2043 acres of land, belonging to Thomas Gould, Esq., Thomas Langdon, M.D., and several smaller freeholders. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The interior still retains its original carved oak seats, and has some memorials of the Nutcombe family, formerly lords of the manor. The Rev. W.M. Harrison is patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 17s. 3½d., and in 1831 at £302. The Rectory House was rebuilt in 1823, at a cost of about £1000. The glebe is 40A., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £244 per annum. The poor have 20s. a year of Perry-tenement, left by Mary Sayer, in 1701. An annuity of £3, left by Mrs. H.N. Bluett, in 1747; and the dividends of £150 three per cent. stock, given by John Norman and B.N. Bluett, are applied in schooling poor children." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Bampton Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.