A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CLAYHANGER, a parish in the hundred of BAMPTON, county of DEVON, 4¾ miles (E. by N.) from Bampton, containing 342 inhabitants. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £15. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of R. Harrison, Esq. The church contains a rood-loft and an ancient wooden screen; it formerly belonged to the Knights Templars, who had a preceptory here. A charity school was founded, in 1747, by Hannah Nutcombe Bluett, with an endowment of £3 per annum, which, by the subsequent gifts of John Norman and Buckland Nutcombe Bluett, in 1785, has been increased to £7. 10., that sum being paid to a schoolmistress for teaching as many children as choose to apply.