Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Clovelly 1857

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Extract from an 1857 trades directory for


Directory and Gazetteer of the County of Devon (M. Billings Steam Press Office)

Transcribed by John BISHOP <100041.1516[at]compuserve[dot]com>

Made available with his kind permission

Clovelly is a parish with a small village, 4½ miles E. of Hartland and 11 W.S.W. of Bideford, containing 8502 acres of land, and population in 1851 of 937 souls. The number of voters in 1857 was 14. Polling-district, Bideford.
This village is one of the most romantically situated in the whole county; it is built on the side of a steep rock, to which the houses seem joined like pigeon huts against a wall; from the top of the town to the Quay at the bottom you decend by flights of steps, and the traveller cannot help being struck with amazement at the rapidity with which the horses go up and down. The prospect from the heights is extensive, and embraces numerous interesting objects, among which the views of the Isle of Lundy in the Channel, of Barnstaple Bay and the opposite coast, and of the vessels in the small harbour beneath, are eminently fine. The appearance of the village from the harbour is strikingly picturesque, presenting a singular combination of romantic cottages, rugged precipices, and masses of rock, of the most fantastic shapes, fringed as they are with woods, and now and then interspersed with spots of ground in the highest state of cultivation, all combine to render this one of the most delightful villages we have ever met with.

Clovelly Dykes, an ancient British encampment, is situate on very high ground, commanding the only practicable coast road in this part of the country; it consists of three trenches or dykes, enclosing a quadrilateral area, 360 feet in length and 300 in breadth.

The harbour is an appendage to Bideford. This place is famous for the best herrings taken in the Bristol Channel; mackerel, turbot, sole, plaice, hake, and many other kinds of fish are taken during their seasons.

The manor was formally held by the Giffords, but in the reign of Richard II., was sold to Sir John Cary, whose family constructed the harbour and pier; it is now the property of the Right Hon. Sir J. H. Williams, Bart., who resides at Clovelly Court, a large mansion, which was re-built on the site of a more ancient edifice destroyed by fire, The views in the park are magnificently grand, and will well repay a visit.

The Church (All Saints) is an antiquated structure, with a low tower, adjacent to Clovelly Court. This church was made collegiate in 1387, by Sir Wm. Cary, who settled in it a warden and six chaplains, to whom he gave the avowson and great tithes. The Rev. Mr. Prince erected a gallery in the church, which is let by the year, and the proceeds are applied in schooling poor children. The living is a Rectory, in the patronage of the lord of the manor, and incumbency of the Rev. Mr. Chichester, who has a good residence and about 100 acres of Glebe.

There are Chapels belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists and the Bible Christians. No stated ministers.

Alphabetical List of Clergy, Gentry, Etc.

Chichester Rev. Mr., Parsonage
Elsworthy Mr. Oliver
Hockendon, CAptain Hy.
Lee Captain Jno.
Lee Mr. William
Lee Mr. Robert
Step Mr. Henry
Williams Sir J. H., Bart., Clovelly Court

Alphabetical List of Professions Trades, Etc.

Almrott Andrew, coast guard officer
Ashton William, carpenter, Slerra
Avery William, farmer, part of Glede
Badcock James, boot and shoe maker
Bartlett Thomas, farmer, Kennerland
Beckalee Samuel, Butcher, Winklebury
Beer Jas., jun., grocer, etc.
Berryman James, victualler, New Inn
Berryman Mrs., boot and shoe maker
Bragg Benjamin, farmer and mason, Slerra
Brown Matthew, Chief Coast Guard Officer
Buckingham Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Burman Thomas, fishmonger
Burman William, blacksmith
Burman Daniel, farmer
Burnham Richard, blacksmith, Slerra
Burrow Joseph, farmer, Highworthy
Barrow Thomas, farmer, Slade
Carter Joseph, farmer, Stitworthy
Ching John, farmer, East Dyke
Cleverdon William, farmer, Burford
Dannell John, schoolmaster
Downing D., fishmonger, Dyke's Green
Eddy John, farmer, West Dyke
Elliott Michael, coast guard officer
Grills Nicholas, boot and shoe maker, East Dyke
Heard William, draoer and grocer, Winsworthy
Hockridge Thomas, farmer, Eastacott and Holwill
Hockridge Thomas, farmer, Burnstone and Firnham
Howard John, carpenter
Jaming Bartlett, farmer, Hugglepit
Jennings William, beer retailer, Farmer's Arms, Slerra
Jewell Joseph, farmer, Blagdon
Jewel William, farmer, Winklebury
Nancekivell Robert, carpenter, Slerra
Oxenham Walter Hugh, farmer, Stitworthy
Parsons Joseph, mason, Slerra
Pidler Alexander, boot and shoe maker
Pennington William, boot and shoe maker
Quance William, coast guard officer
Sharsell Richard, boot and shoe maker
Stevens George, boot and shoe maker
Stevens John, coast guard officer
Squire John, farmer, Dyke's Green
Stoneman John, carpenter
Stroud John, gardener to Sir J. H. Williams, Bart.
Thompson Neil, hind, Cort BArton
Vine S., victualler and coal merchant, Red Lion, Quay
Whitefield, Robert, druggist

Post office.- Mr. J. Dannell, Sub-Postmaster. Letters from Bideford, which is the nearest Money Order Office.

Carrier.- Bideford, Jewell, Tues., Thur., and Sat.

Brian Randell, 16 May 2004