"CLIST HYDON, or Clyst Hydon, a small village in the valley, near the source of the river Clist, 4 miles S. by E. of Collumpton, and 10 miles N.E. of Exeter, has in its parish 325 souls, and 2725A. of land, including several scattered farms and neat houses. Mrs. Huyshe is lady of the manor of Clist Hydon, which was long held by the ancient family of Hidon. John Mathew, Esq., is lord of the manor of Anke or Aunck, and has a handsome seat here called Ratcliff's House, encompassed by a woody lawn. He also owns Farrant Hayes; but a great part of the parish belongs to J. Pinsent, E. Wish, Mrs. Drew, J.R. Salter, A.T. Follett, and several other freeholders. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a fine antique fabric, with a tower and five bells. . . . The rectory, valued in K.B. at £20. 0s. 7½d., and in 1831 at £494, is in the patronage of Mrs. Harriet Huyshe, and the incumbency of the Rev. John Huyshe, M.A. who has a good residence and 89A. of glebe.. . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Cliston Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.