Clyst St George
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CLIST (ST. GEORGE), a parish in the eastern division of the hundred of BUDLEIGH, county of DEVON, 1½ mile (N. E. by E.) from Topsham, containing 345 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £17. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. R. Ellicombe. In the windows of the church are some remains of ancient stained glass. A school for boys and girls was founded, in 1703, by Sir Edward and Dame Seward; the income is about £42 per annum, and it has an exhibition of £4 per annum at either of the Universities: £3 per annum is received by this parish from the Holbrook estate in the parish of Clist-Honiton, the gift of Thomas Weare for instructing four poor children.