Clyst St Mary
"CLIST ST. MARY, a small parish and scattered village, 4 miles E.S.E. of Exeter, in the vale of the small river Clist, has only 197 souls, and 582A. 3R. 35p., of land, belonging to H. Porter, S. Barnes, J. Guitton, and Robt. Davy, Esqrs., Miss Pidley, and a few smaller owners. Winslade House, a large stone mansion, on an eminence, with tasteful grounds, is the seat of Henry Porter, Esq., . . . It has three beautiful terraces in front, and was formerly the seat of the Spicer and Porcher families. The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a cruciform structure, with a tower and three bells, and its chancel was rebuilt about 40 years ago. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £5. 1s. 3d., and in 1831 at £210, is in the patronage of Thomas Strong, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E. Strong, M.A., who has a good residence and 32A. 1R. 3P. of glebe . . . the parish has a small National School. This place was one of the chief scenes of the rebellion which happened in 1549, on account of the reformation in religion. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter. (Note: part of the village of Clyst St Mary is in the parish of Sowton.)
Editors. Joshua Dixon. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 12:8, (1923) pp.356-357. [From T.D.A., vol.18, p.61.] [Merchant, 1810-1885]
MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.
Brown, W.S. The medieval bridge and St Gabriel's Chapel at Bishop's Clyst. Devon Archaeol. Soc. Proc. 40, (1982) pp.163-169: map, plans.
Parish Registers going back to 1662 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1840, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of 1993).
The Deanery of Aylesbeare: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Aylesbeare, Bicton, Branscombe, Broadclyst, Clyst Honiton, Clyst St.George, Clyst St.Mary, Colaton Raleigh, East Budleigh, Farringdon, Harpford, Huxham, Littleham, Lympstone, Otterton, Ottery St. Mary, Pinhoe, Poltimore, Rockbeare, Salcombe Regis, Sidbury, Sidmouth, Sowton, Stoke Canon, Topsham, Venn Ottery, Whimple, Withycombe Raleigh and Woodbury. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850 and Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England 1844, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2012). [Aylesbeare Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bicton Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1755-1835, Bur: 1813-1852, Bur: 1725-1845 (BTs); Branscombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1545-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Broadclyst Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst Honiton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. George Bapt: 1813-1837, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Clyst St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1840, Bur: 1813-1837; Colaton Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Budleigh Salem Chapel, Bur: 1832-1837; Farringdon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1852; Glenorchy Independent Exmouth, Bur: 1784-1818; Harpford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1809-1837; Huxham Bapt: 1813-1852, Mar: 1758-1836, Bur: 1813-1864; Littleham (near Exmouth) Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lympstone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Otterton Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ottery St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Pinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1844, Bur: 1813-1838; Poltimore Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Rockbeare Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Salcombe Regis Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1830, Bur: 1813-1837; Sidmouth Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Sowton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Stoke Canon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Topsham Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Venn Ottery Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whimple Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1813-1837; Withycombe Raleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Woodbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Alcock, N.W. The Bishops Clyst court rolls: a question of provenance. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 34:8, (1981) pp.99-101.
Section on Clyst St Mary (and Clyst Sackville) from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Clyst St Mary to another place.
Warham, Sylvia. The Gibbs family and their connection with Shepherds Manor. Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 39,5 (2004) pp. 159-160. [Further notes on the history of Shepherds (Ashmore Manor) near Clyst St Mary (see articles by the same author in Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries 39:2 pages 33-8, and 39.3 pages 65-72).]
You can see the administrative areas in which Clyst St Mary has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Axford, Jeanne. About Clyst St. Mary (2000) 94p.
Powell, John Robert. Archaeological memoranda of the parish of Clyst St. Mary. Manuscript (1887) 87p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/CLY 9/0001/POW]
Radford, G.H. Mrs. The fight at Clyst in 1455. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 44, (1912) pp.252-265. [Index]
Whitaker, Ruth. Clyst St. Mary, Devon: the story of our village. R. Whitaker, 1954, 19 pp.
Alcock, N.W. The Clystwicon charter (Clyst St. Mary). Trans. Devon. Assoc. 103, (1971) pp.25-33: map. [1075-1100]
Shepherds: All Manor of Mystery - A brief history of Old Kiddicott, Old Mill House and Shepherds (Ashmore Manor), by Sylvia Warham.
Alcock, N.W. An East Devon manor in the later middle ages. Part 1: 1374-1420 The manor farm; Part 2: Leasing the demesne 1423-1525; 1525-1650 Trans. Devon. Assoc. 102, (1970) pp.141-187; 105, (1973) pp.141-190.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX978903 (Lat/Lon: 50.703329, -3.448613), Clyst St Mary which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cain, Peter et al. Not Forgotten: A story of the men of Clyst St Mary & Sowton who gave their lives in the Great War. [SoG Library DE/L 186]
Clyst St Mary Apprentices Register - 1804-1831, Exeter, Devon Family History Society, (Booklet & PDF A111). [Foreword]