"COCKINGTON, a parish of scattered houses, 2 miles W. of Torquay, has only 203 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, extending to the cliffs of Torbay, where a great part of the sea wall was washed down Oct. 13th, 1849, but is now rebuilt. C.H. Mallock, Esq., owns most of the parish, and is now lord of the manors of Cockington and Chelston. He resides at Cockington Court, a large stone mansion, in a well-wooded lawn; and is also the owner of Livermead House, a beautiful villa on the sea coast. The Church is a small antique fabric, and the living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Tor-Moham. C.H. Mallock, Esq., is patron, and also impropriator of the rectory, and has the power of proving wills here. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. There is modern church at Chelston in this parish, without separate registers.