"COFFINSWELL, a small village and parish, 4 miles S.E. of Newton-Abbot, contains 215 souls, and 1100 acres of land, including the hamlet of Daccombe. Sir W.P. Carew, Bart., is lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to H.L. Brown, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Bartholomew,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. It was repaired in 1844, and its curacy is annexed to the vicarage of St. Mary Church, in the patronage and appropriation of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for £233 per annum." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, and a Peculiar the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. [The church now has six bells.]
Parish Registers going back to 1560 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1560 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.
The members' area of the Devon FHS website makes available online images, not at present (Jan 2016) available elsewhere, of the Parish Registers covering Coffinswell Baptisms, Marriages and Burials: 1560-1805, Baptisms and Burials: 1801-1812, Baptisms and Burials (draft copy), 1805-1812, Marriages and Banns: 1754-1812, Marriages: 1813-1837.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1560-1837, Marriages 1560-1837.