Coplestone Cross and a Charter of Eadgar, AD 974
Trans. Devon Assoc. vol. 8 (1876), pp. 351-359.
Prepared by Michael Steer
In the late 1800's the village had a chapel, private school and a railway station on the North Devon Railway. In the village where the parishes of Crediton, Colebrooke and Down St. Mary meet, stands one of the most ancient Christian relics of Devon: the Copplestone Cross or "the Copleston", as it is named in King Edgar's charter. The paper, delivered at the Association's July 1876 Ashburton meeting presents the ancient charter in its entirety with a competent translation, as well as what was known about the ancient stone artefact for which the tiny village is famed. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by Princeton University Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.
|Ælfstan, bishop (London)||354|
|Ælfstan, bishop (Ramsbury)||354|
|Ælfstan, bishop (Rochester)||354|
|Coplestone family||356, 359|
|Dryden, Sir Henry||illus, 356-7|
|Eadgar, King||351-3, 355, 358|
|Garling, Henry Esq||351|
|James, Sir Henry||351|
|Sanders, W B Esq||354|