Colebrooke (and Coplestone)
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
COLEBROKE, a parish in the hundred of CREDITON, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (w.) from Crediton, containing 875 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £20. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are ruins of chapels at Coplestone, Hooke, Horwell, Land's End, and Wolmstone, in this parish; and near the latter is a well, dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
COPLESTONE, a hamlet in the parish of COLEBROKE, hundred of CREDITON, county of DEVON, 4¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Crediton. The village formerly contained a chapel, and, according to some authorities, a mint and a prison, long since destroyed: there are still some remains of an ancient cross.