Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Colyton 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

COLYTON

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"COLYTON, a parish in the hundred of Colyton in the county of Devon, 7 miles W. of Lyme Regis, 7 S. of Honiton, and 20 E. of Exeter. It is situated in a fertile valley near where the river Coly joins the Axe. The parish includes the tything of Colyford. The houses are principally built of flint with thatched roofs. There are paper-mills and tanneries. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value with the perpetual curacy of Moncton annexed, £403, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an old edifice in the later English style, with monuments of the Courtenay, Yonge, and Pole families. The Unitarians, Wesleyans, and Independents have places of worship. There is an endowed grammar school founded in Henry VIII.'s time, and several Sunday schools. The charities, including the school lands, produce £400 per annum. Here "Honiton lace" is manufactured in large quantities. Some ancient seats of this parish are now converted into homesteads. The market is on Thursday, and fairs for cattle are held on the 1st May and 30th November."

"BLACKBURY, a hamlet in the parish of Colyton, hundred of Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 4 miles to the W. of Colyton. In the vicinity are the remains of a Roman encampment, now called Blackbury Castle, and a tumulus."

"BYSTOCK, a hamlet in the parish of Colyton-Rawleigh, hundred of East Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 2 miles to the W. of Sidmouth. It is seated on the sea-coast. Bystock House is the principal residence."

"COLYFORD, a tything in the parish and hundred of Colyton, in the county of Devon, a miles from Lyme Regis."

"GRINDLE, a hamlet in the parish of Colyton-Rawleigh, county Devon, 3 miles W. of Sidmouth."

"HAWKERLAND, (or Hookerland), a hamlet in the parish of Colyton-Rawleigh, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Sidmouth.

"KINGSTON, a hamlet in the parish of Colyton Rawleigh, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Sidmouth."

"STONEYFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Colyton Rawleigh, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Sidmouth."

"STOWFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Colyton Rawleigh, county Devon, 2 miles W. of Sidmouth."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003