The River Runs By:

A Childhood Remembered With
This and That

By Jim Board

Published by J.D. Board, 1999
Colyvale, Colyton EX24 6PZ
Printed by Creeds the Printers, Broadoak, Bridport DT6 5NL

Index prepared by Julie Anning Fletcher

(E-mail: lookup.jfletcher[at]westnet.com[dot]au)

Jim Board was the local postman for many years, born in Colyton. A good deal of the book follows his postal round naming roads, farms and families along the route, with some historical information and lots of childhood reminiscencing.

Illustrations and photographs

(Many not dated but thought to be early-mid 1900's}

  Front cover The River, Colyton.
1.     Town Map of Colyton, hand drawn, present day street names, 1928 street names, places of interest, i.e. Houses, businesses [see index]
2. Photo of seven Board siblings 1930's
3. Chantry Bridge, with the beginning of the breakup of the weir
4. The Ford, Farway Village
5. The Rickety Bridge at Heath-Hayne
6. The View of Colyton from Mount Hill
7. River Coly at it's most violent, taking away the end of a house below Umborne Bridge, 10th July 1968
8. Umborne Bridge, a favourite place for the Dipper to nest on it's steel supports
9. The Wesleyan Chapel where children attended Sunday School
10. A cottage where Mr Ralph Smith and family lived, here bicycles were repaired
11. Arial view of Old Cottages now long gone, foreground Church Path, where Mr. Newbury the Church sexton lived]
12. No.1 Restorick Row [home of Jim Boards grandparents]
13. Colyton Vicarage, taken from Church tower
14. The Old Smithy nearby the Bear Inn, Frank Turl, Farrier and Smithy
15. The fateful bollards at Church Path & iron railings removed during WW2
16. The Colyton Industrial & Provident Society, Harold Purse, Mr. Jay, Manager, Rene Restorick, Bill French, Unknown, Donald D. Purse
17. Colyton Primary School 1971
18. Rendell's House, Queens Square
19. The White Hart, Queens Square
20. Old School House 1908
21. Local Grammar School, now Old Church House 1978
22. Follett RH & J & Turl Brothers, Grocer & Ironmonger 1900's
23. Colyton Fair Day, early - unknown date
24. Colcombe Castle, Market Square
25. 1937 Coronation Celebrations, Market Square
26. Barbers shop run by Ernest Matthews, now a library
27. Colcombe Castle, Market Square
28. Coronation Celebrations, Market Square
29. Board, James William, authors father
30. No.5 Stokes Row
31. Jim Board, Church Terrace
32. Butcher White's shop, Edgar White, Tom White, Reg Heard, Gwendoline White
33. Lower Church Street, Coronation 1937 children
34. Chantry Meadow
35. St Andrews Church fire, 1933
36. The church bells after fire, Harold Richards, Sir Rex Richards, Dick Barrett, Ned Moss, Mr. J Newbery
37. Grandmother, Lizzie Board
38. Stokes Row Court 1999
39. Gladys Elizabeth May Board with baby [Jim Boards' mother]



Name Event Date Page
'Clapps' Hayfield Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
'Slippery' A travelling fruit and vegetable purveyor and character, used a horse and cart and was partial to a drink   133
5, Stokes Row Town Map of Colyton, author born 1928-1999 Preface
  Now Church Terrace, photograph   82
  James Board, photograph   84
Allotments Will Hayne, the Ridgeway and Colcombe, about 100 plots   40
Appledore Farm Farway, rivulet joins River Coly   9
Axe Valley Hunt Met in Market Square   67
Bailey, Bill Spent school years with author in Colyton   13
Bake House Lower Church Street   91
Baker, J & F Current owners of Hamlyn Mill   43
Barrett, John Childhood friend of author   132
Barrett, Tom Timber hauler, two saw mills South Street   78
Barton Stacey, Hampshire Jim Board 18 years old at Transit camp, death of grandmother Lizzie Board 1946 123
Bastable, Mr E Taught Sunday school, Vicarage Street, buried at Loughwood Chapel, lived at Berry House, bakery   106
Bastables shop Vicarage Street   90
Bear Inn Public House   94
Beer Quarry Beer stone   67
Beer stone Used in cottages in King Street   45
Berry House Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
Berry House Overlooked Colyton House, originally two storey   37
Board Family Photograph 1930's 7
Board, James Douglas Born 22 August, 1928   82
Board, James siblings Jim, Denis, Sidney, Margaret, Alan, Hubert, Christine, Gladys, Malcolm, Ronald   86, 102
Board, Vera, Robert, Joanne Children of Jim Board   107
Board, Jack & Board Lizzie Shearscroft Farm, drover and slaughterman   13
Board, James William & Board, Gladys Elizabeth May Parents of fourteen children born in Colyton, No.5 Stokes Row [now Church Terrace], Lower Church Street [then called Cross Street & also Tiger's Bay] Late 1800's-early 1900 8
Board, Jim James Douglas Board, Date of birth, 9th child of James William Board & Gladys Elizabeth May Board. Five children born after 22nd August 1928 8, 81, 82
Bolshayne Farm See Cottshayne Cottage   22
Bonehayne Farm Southleigh, rivulet joins River Coly   9
Borwick, Andrew Boyhood friend of James Board, son of local magistrate 1938 70
Boycombe Farm Boycome Lane, Farway, views to St. Andrews Church Colyton & Musbury Castle. Mural on wall of restored farm house, with inscription Hidden staircase   10,11
Bright, 'Granny' Cottshayne Cottage   22
Bright, Leonard A school friend of Jim Board   54
Brinkley Brook Bubbles forth at Appledoore, joins River Coly   9
Brown family Owns current business estate agent and solicitor   64
Bull, Miss A teacher in mid-school   53
Ceramtec West Street, for past 25 years, the towns main employer   49
Chantry Bridge Packhorse bridge where the Chantry Oak grewWeir on the north diverted water from Coly for the paper mill, now washed away   8
  Where the Coly continues to meat the River Axe   29
Chantry Fields Jim Board's sister Margaret rabbit snare   27
Chantry Meadow Colyton   8
  Childhood play area   28
Chantry Weir Long washed away, diverted water for saw and paper mill   98, 113
Chard Nets manufactured, local women examined them for defects, including aunt Mabel Littley   47
Church Street Unitarian Chapel, now used as youth club   58
Clarence House Colyton   55
Colcombe Abbey See Colcombe Farm c.1280 30
  Once famous Abbey, made of Beer stone   67
Colcombe Castle Market Square, photograph   66
Colcombe Castle Inn Market Square   67
Colcombe Farm At Colcombe Lane, Colyton, Colcombe Abbey, a royal ring found   30
Colcombe Mill The Mill Stream drove a water wheel for Colyton's power supply   31
Coles Mill Midway between Colyton and Colyford, still a working mill   29
Colyford Ancient Borough, River Axe   29
  New school built in 1929   58
Colyton Cottage A second Colyton ghost, in the form of a gentleman, cottage once owned by Powell Family   57
Colyton Council School Mrs Kann and Mrs Wilmott, teachers 1933 50
Colyton Fair Day Photograph Unknown 65
Colyton House Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
Colyton House Colyton, a grand house, owned by last family of leather tanners   36
Colyton Industrial & Provident Society Shop Sign, West Street opposite the blacksmiths, established 1894, bread and cakes made on premises 1894 49
Cookshayes Lies north, across the valley from Farwood Barton   16
  Jim Board's aunt worked as an 'indoors' servant 1909 18
Coronation Celebrations Market Square, photograph 1937 66
Coronation George VI Celebrations 1937 97
Cottshayne Cottage Granny Bright, lived here, down the lane from Bolshayne Farm, close to Wiscombe Brook   22
Country Inn Colyton public house   69
de la Pole, John George Reeve Coming of age of de la Pole, Oxen Hill was named 1829 26
Dowell, Billy Childhood friend of author   113
Dowell, Grandmother Nee Purse   85
Dowell, William Born Branscombe, at cottage known as 'Wobble'   84
Dowell, William & Anne Parents of Gladys Elizabeth May Dowell, mother of author, born 1 Restock Row 1898 84
Dowell, Billie Grandfather of Jim Board, mother's father   27
Dowell, William & Edith Dowell Parents of Jim Boards' mother, see Restorick Row   36
Down, Mr See Hardy's Hill Farm   23
Duke of Monmouth Monmouth's Room in the Great House, named for his visit in 1680 1680 76
Ebdon, Harry Farwood Barton, original destroyed by fire   16
Edge Hill Place names at Farway   12
Edwards, H E Clerk of Works, of new sewerage system 1935-6 92
  Construction supervisor of railroad in Kenya   95
Evans Bought Hamlyn Mill 1860 43
Evelyen, Dr. Ex prisoner of way far east, lived at Brook House   72
Far-a-way House Place names at Farway   12
Farway Village At the foot of Farway hill, a place of great antiquity   9
Farway Village Church Yew tree, reputed to be one thousand years old   9
Farwood Barton Place names at Farway   12
Ffeofees Town Hall Market Square built 1927 1927 68
Follett, RH & J Once a surplus store Early 1900's 60
  Grocer & Ironmonger, photograph   62
Folletts shop     90
Ford, Mr Owned 'Lookout' Branscombe 1920's 63
Fowler family Lower Church Street   97
Fox family Lower Church Street, several children   97, 105
Frankeheney family See Heathhayne Farm page 26   26
Freakhayne Bridge The Coly is joined by a brook beginning at Wiscombe Park   21
Freakhayne House Destroyed by fire in the mid 1800's, remnants of chimney with arched fireplace, refer W.H. Hamilton Rogers c.1800's 24
Fry family Lower Church Street   97
Fry George 'Clatting' for eels at Chantry Weir   113
Fry Peter Childhood friend of author   132
Gerrard Arms Colyton   35
  Public house, ladies outing to snug bar 1900-1940 97
Gittshayne Farm Open stream ran through land   113
Globe Inn Public house, ladies outing to snug bar 1900-1940 97
Gover's Bakery Or Old Bake House, Dolphin Street, owned by Mr & Mrs Gover   94, 115
Grammar School Now Old Church House, photograph 1978 61
Great House Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
Hamberhayne Lies across the valley from Farwood Barton   16
Hamilton Rogers, W.H. History of the area of Freakhayne House   24
Hamlyn Mill Fondly known locally at 'The Tan Yard', a tannery where leather was produced from Roman times Leather works, water wheel diverted water from the Coly   29, 42, 116
Hann, Bill Shot rooks   112
Hann, Mr Had full control of Colyton's first power supply   31
Hardy's Hill Farm Owned by Mr. Down, above Cottshayne Cottage   23
Hawkins, Doreen & Bill Southleigh Post Office   21
Heard, Reg Photograph White's butchers   94
Heathhayne Farm The Rickety Bridge, spanning the Coly, 'alas long gone', wild raspberries grew   25
  Sitting under Oxon Hill, in local vernacular 'Yethin', Frankeheney family, heiress married Stroke, Denys Passmere, Pole Family of Shute   26
  House rebuilt in 1620 by Weston c.1620 26
Henry VIII Granted market in Charter to Colyton 1546 68
Higher Waddon Southleigh farm name   21
Hooper family Lower Church Street   97
Hoopers shop Decorators, Dolphin Street   89
Hornshayne Place names at Farway   12
  Lies across the valley from Farwood Barton   16
Howberhayne Lies across the valley from Farwood Barton   16
Howberhayne House Strowbridge family, a house of large proportions, restored   23
Hutchings, Humphrey Lived at 'Money Acre' at the top of Farway Common, found a crock of coins and letter   9
Jacknell, Joey A shoe repair man lived No. 1 Hillhead Road   134
Jefferies, Judge Market Square, Court House   67
  Plaque on wall with brief history, near King Street   45
Jenkins, Mr Headmaster of Colyton Council School, garden plots Abt. 1944 50
Jobblehayes Place names at Farway   12
  Giles White, was a gamekeeper for Shute Estate   21
Joslin, Mr A teacher   54
Kann, Mrs See Colyton Council School 1933 50
King Street The old Smithy, once used for shoeing horses   39
  Previously known as Back Street   41
Kingdom Cottage King Street   67
Leather making History and current methods   44
Lions Close Hill Road to picnic site   105
Liddons Farm See Mr Loveridge   117
Little Downing Farm WW2 plane crashed, near Colyton   77
Littley, Mabel See Chard   47
  A cousin to authors mother, husband Sidney Littley   137
Littley, Sidney See Littley Mabel   137
Littley, Reg And his father lit huge fires to make gas for local supply   42
Long, Walter 'Walty' Foundry Cottage   136
Loud, George The butcher would buy rabbits, see Chantry fields   27
  Butcher shop Market Square   125
Loveridge Mr Farmer from Liddons Farm off Station Road   117
Lower Church Street Previously known as Cross Street, or 'Tigers Bay', where Jim Board was born, 60 children lived   35
Lower Waddon Southleigh farm name   21
Market Square Old Church House, once the Grammar School 1547-1929 58
Matthews, Ernest Barber shop, now a library   72
Millhouse Place names at Farway, stands close to 'our new brook'   12
Minchinton, Ivor Childhood friend of author, see Morton Cottage   132
Money Acre See Hutchings, Humphrey   9
Morganhayes Copse Entry from Hary's Hill Farmhouse   23
Morganhayes Cover Copse Buzzard hawk nest   23
Morton Cottage Minchinton family lived with four children   97
Mounthill, Ox Hill, Hillhead, Sutton Thorn Hills used for sledging with hill trolleys, rabitting 1939 103, 105
Mr. Snell Old Post Office, Farway   12
Netherton Hall Historical residence of the Lords of the Manor   11
  A refuge for young people 1980 12
Newbury, Jimmy Caretaker of St. Andrews Church, lived at Church Path, now gone   136
Northleigh Village, dominated by village church St. Giles   13
Oak bark Old method for tanning leather, still used in Colyton   43
Old Blacksmith's Shop Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
Old Church House See Market Square, secret panel leads to garden   58
Old Compasses Colyton public house, South Street   74
Old School House Photograph 1908 61
Old Shute House Roasting spit preserved from Oxen hill   27
Packhorse Bridge Fifty yards from Woodbridge Farmhouse   13
Paper Mill Long washed away on the Axe River   29
Parehayne Farm Owned by Mr Russell, corn grown   118
Parish Church of St. Andrew With unique Lantern Tower, views to west rolling hills of Farway, Northleigh and Southleigh, views south to the English Channel, village of Axmouth   30
Parkes, Mr & Mrs & Norah Lower Church Street   96
Passmere, Denys See Heathhayne Farm page 26   26
Perham, Harold Auto repairs, workshop overlooked Ham Fields   136
Pole Family of Shute See Heathhayne Farm page 26   26
Pole, Sir William Templar His son John George Reeve de la Pole 1829 27
Powell family See Colyton Cottage, employer of Jim Board's aunt who died aged 99 years, mid-shipman on Nelson's Flag ship, uniform and regalia held by Colyton Ffeofees   57
Prams, perambulators Used for fetching nets, gathering wood, produce from allotment   48
Prince of Wales Monument erected by the Patriotic Protestants 1863 70
Purbridge Cross Where the Coly and Brinkly Brook merge   19
Purlbridge Coly river becomes fishable   9
Purse, Mr & Mrs Lower Church Street   96, 105
Queen Square Long thatched dwelling of Colyton Cottage, dated 1620 c.1620 56
Queen's Haye Next door to Queen's Square Garage, interesting house with indoor well   56
Queen's Square Garage and Cycle Shop Opposite Colyton Cottage, one the armoury for the local militia   56
Ratshole The name an orchard, a mystery. An apple tree called 'Sheep's Nose'   23
Rendell's House Queens Square, photograph   59
Restorick Row Jim Boards mother born to William Dowell and granny Edith Dowell   36
Ridgeway House Thatched house on Ridgeway known for it's ghost, with main group of six houses   56
River Axe Close to Colyford, see Chantry Bridge   29
River Coly Rises five miles west of Offwell   9
Road Green Farm Road to picnic site   105
Road Pit Farm Northleigh Colyton Road   18
Rosemary Lane Colyton, once called North Street, once a thriving saw mill, Jim Boards father ground axes there   31
  Previously known as North Street, Restorick Row on right   36
Royal Engineers Jim Boards regiment in Kenya   95
Saw Mill Long disused on the Axe River   29
Scruel Barton Farm A stream veers past, joining the Coly at Bonehayne Farm   21
Shearscroft Farm Situated on hill overlooking village church, birthplace of James William Board & six siblings   13
Shiphay Farm Near Mill Stream, close to Colyton town   31
Shute Deer Park See Shute Estate   21
Shute Estate Owned by the Carew Pole family   21
Sir John Carew Pole Owned Shute Estate   121
Slyn family Lower Church Street   97
Smith, John Childhood friend of author   132
Smith, Ralph Family lived in cottage next to Gerrard Arms   35
  Ran cycle repair shop   82
Solicitors Chambers 'Elizabethan' mural found in 1974, possibly wealthy merchants house, ghost of Abbot   65
South Street Once called Cuckoo Street   70
Southleigh Brook Southleigh   21
Southleigh Post Office Southleigh, owned by Doreen & Bill Hawkins   21
St. Andrews Church Fire, bells removed 1933 111
St. Andrews Square Centre point stood a water fountain   31
St. Lawrence Village church of Southleigh   21
Stacey, Constable Policeman, fireworks damage to house   112, 127
Stedcombe House Three miles from Colyton   136
Strawberry Lane Picnic site   105
Strawbridge, Charles Played the hand bells   35
Strowbridge family Howberhayne House, mentioned in connection with the Feoffees of Colyton, Royal Charter granted 1546 23
Sunny Side Cottage South Street, un-named volunteer soldier at Sedgemoor, marriage recorded Loughwood Chapel near Dalwood   74
Sweetland, Mrs Sold sweets from kitchen window   96
Taylor family Lower Church Street   97
Tedbridge Place names at Farway   12
The 'Old Gas Works' Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
The Bear Inn Public house next door to the Smithy   39, 69
The Butts The primary school, once named the Colyton Council School, Jim Board attended from 1933 aged 5 years   50
The Compasses Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
The Compasses Colyton public house   69
  South Street home of author at 14 yrs old,   120
  Once a Coaching Inn   130
  Death of sister Gladys Board   131
The Cottage King Street, a beautiful thatched house   45
The Court House Across the road, once stood three elm trees, where prisoners were hung   46
The Foundry Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
The George Colyton public house   69
The Globe Colyton public house   69
The Grove Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
The Grove Beer stone house in South Street, requisitioned US Army WW2   78
The Wesleyan Chapel Town Map of Colyton 1928-1999 Preface
The White Hart Public House, fire destroyed thatch, photograph   60, 69
Toll House A toll paid for crossing the Umborne Bridge, entering the town or using the weighbridge   31
Town Hall Built in Colyton by the Ffeoffees 1929 58
Tracey, Arthur Travelling street singer   71
Tucker, Harold Childhood friend of author   132
Tucker, Mr & Mrs & Harold Lower Church Street, Mr Tucker a military man   96
Turl Brothers Collecting town refuse by horse and cart, in Follett's Shop photograph Early 1900's 62
  Disposed towns rubbish   137
Turl Mr A shoe repair man at Cobblers, Dolphin Street   134
Turlings Farm Once the dairy farm for Colyton House   45
Umborne Bridge Refer Toll House   31
  Birdlife   99
  Flood relief tunnels   136
Umborne Brook Below Colcombe Farm House, diverted by Monks of Colcombe Abbey   30
Unitarian Chapel See Church Street, burial vault underneath, 17 people buried   58
Vicarage 10 years prior, made into two separate dwellings   37
Vincent, Dick Worked for Folletts   63
  Lived at South Street, delivered groceries to Branscombe, Dalwood, Shute, Whitford, Farway and Northleigh   135
Waldron of Bovye House Branscombe, see Robert Weston page 26   26
Waldron, Katheryn See Robert Weston   26
Waterloo Cottage The Butts, last house before recent development, beyond is Ridgeway   55
Wesleyan Chapel Once situated in Lower Rosemary Lane, children attended Sunday school   31
  Rosemary Lane, Sunday school   106
West Street Leading to the Butts and Ridgeway, local school, dentist, new cemetery   47
  Blacksmiths   49
Weston, John See Robert Weston   26
Weston, Robert Of Heathhayne, son of John Weston of Colyton, married Katheryn Waldron, daughter of Waldron of Bovye House, Branscombe 19 May 1561 26
White family & Alec White Lower Church Street   97
White Giles Lived at Park Cottage, Shute. Brother of Jim Board's grandmother Lizzie Board, gamekeeper for Shute Estate   21, 121
White, Tom White's Butchers shop St Andrews Square   90
  Edgar, Tom and Gwendoline White photograph   92
  Butcher of Colyton, Ham Fields, slaughter house 94, 136 90
Widworthy School A two & a half mile walk for authors father and siblings, Jim, Jack, Harry, Tom, Emma, Grace & Alan Board [see Board, James William page 8]   14
Willhayne Lane Road to picnic site   105
Wimott, Mrs See Colyton Council School 1933 50
Wiscombe Park A handsome house stands   21
Wood, Reginald Basket maker lived at bottom of Hillhead Road   135
Woodbridge Farm Home of Bailey family, long established Farway family   13
Yonge family Great House, Sunnyside Terrace, ghost   75
Yonge, John Merchant adventurer built Great House   76