Hide

hide
Hide

COMBRAWLEIGH

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"COMBRAWLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Axminster, in the county of Devon, 1 mile N.E. of Honiton, its post town and railway station. The manor formerly belonged to the Baunton and Matthews families. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £272, in the patronage of E. S. Drewe, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient stone edifice, with monuments and stained-glass windows. There are free schools for boys and girls. William Bernard, Esq., is lord of the manor.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003