"COMBEINTEIGNHEAD. (Combe-in-Teign-Head,) is a village and parish on the south side of the estuary of the river Teign, 3 miles E. of Newton-Abbot, and 10 miles N.E. by N. of Totnes. It is in the detached part of Wonford Hundred, and contains 425 souls, and 2217A. 1R. 8P. of land, including the hamlets of Netherton, Rocombe, and Ringmore. ... The manor of Combe-in-Teign was long held by the Bourchiers, Earls of Bath, but was sold to 10 or 12 purchasers about 30 years ago, by their representative Sir Bourchier Wrey, Bart., who has also recently disposed of the advowson of the rectory. Lady Reynell, Sir W.P. Carew, W. Wilkin, Esq., and several other proprietors, have estates here. The remains of an ancient mansion, called Buckland Baron, are occupied by labourers. The estate attached to this house was anciently held by the Baron family, and passed to the Earl of Cavan, in right of his mother, who was heiress of the late Mr. Justice Gould. Part of the parish is in the manor of Haccombe. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells, and the aisles are divided from the nave by octagonal pillars." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

Combeinteignhead parish is in the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.



Jordan, Mary Hall. Leaves from the notebook of John Risdon, of Netherton Manor and. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 40, (1908) pp.138-147. [1690-1700 period]



MIs for this parish are included in the Incledon index - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.



Whiteaway, P:.R. (transcr.) Census for Combeinteignhead, 1841 and 1871. Typescript (1988) 29p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.3/COM/1841]


Church History

Combeinteignhead - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).


Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1653 are held in the Devon Record Office.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1800-1837 - for details see their Devon Parish List.

Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

Whiteaway, P:.R. (transcr.) Bishop's transcript for Combeinteignhead, Newton Abbot, 1606-1670. Typescript (1984) 7p. [Westcountry Studies Library - x929.3/COM/1606]

Whiteaway, P:.R. (transcr.) Parish register of Combeinteignhead, Newton Abbot, Devon [1669 - 1913]. Typescript (1983) 400p. [Westcountry Studies Library - x929.3/COM/PAR]

An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Alphington, Ashcombe, Bishopsteignton, Chudleigh, Combeinteignhead, Dawlish, Dunchideock, East Ogwell, East Teignmouth, Exminster, Haccombe, Ide, Kenn, Kenton, Mamhead, Powderham, Shaldon, Shillingford St. George, Starcross, Stokeinteignhead, St. Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter), Trusham, West Ogwell and West Teignmouth. Includes Chudleigh United Reformed Church and East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Burials. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Alphington Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1812-1837; Ashcombe Bapt: 1813-1841 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1783-1837; Bishopsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Chudleigh United Reformed Chapel Bur: 1834-1836; Combeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1800-1837; Dawlish Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Dunchideock Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1756-1836 Bur: 1813-1851; East Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; East Teignmouth Zion Independent Chapel Bur: 1809-1836; Exminster Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Haccombe Bapt: 1821-1842 Mar: 1773-1801 Bur: 1829-1839; Ide Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenn Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1813-1837; Kenton Bapt: 1813-1844 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Mamhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Powderham Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1835 Bur: 1785-1837; Shaldon Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Shillingford St. George Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1765-1837 Bur: 1680-1842; Starcross Bapt: 1815-1840 Mar: 1828-1837 Bur: 1828-1837; Stokeinteignhead Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1836 Bur: 1800-1837; St.Thomas the Apostle (by Exeter) Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837; Trusham Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1743-1837 Bur: 1750-1837; West Ogwell Bapt: 1813-1839 Mar: 1755-1843 Bur: 1813-1839; West Teignmouth Bapt: 1813-1840 Mar: 1754-1837 Bur: 1813-1837.]


Description & Travel

Conservation Area Appraisal for Coombeinteignhead - an interesting account of the area, with numerous photographs and maps.

Section on Combeinteignhead from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Locki

You can see pictures of Combeinteignhead which are provided by:



Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.

Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.



The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.



The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Gerald Poulton, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: PRs on Fiche.)



Boyd, Martin H.A. Haccombe with Combeinteignhead parish history. [Shaldon?]: [M.H.A.Boyd?] [1986?] 42p: ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - pB/HAC/0001/BOY]


Land & Property

Jewers, Arthur A. Lower Netherton. Devon Notes & Queries, vol. I, (January 1900 to January 1901), pp. 79- 80. [Transcript]



View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX901715 (Lat/Lon: 50.53292, -3.552037), Combeinteignhead which are provided by:


Probate Records

Transcript of the will of John Skinner (1817), provided by Tim Skinner.