Hide

hide
Hide

Combeinteignhead

from

A Topographical Dictionary of England

by

 Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

COMBINTINHEAD, a parish forming, with Stokeintinhead, Shaldon Green, and Haccombe, a detached portion of the hundred of WONFORD, locally in that of Haytor, county of DEVON, 3 miles (E.) from Newton- Bushell, containing 403 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £32. 2. 8½., and in the patronage of Sir B. Wrey, Bart. The church contains an ancient wooden screen. The church-house, now occupied by the poor, is of ancient foundation. Here is a school, founded by Margaret Burgoyne, in 1783, with an endowment of £100 stock, for teaching ten children. The navigable river Teign bounds this parish on. the north.