"COMB PYNE, or Coompyne, a small village and parish, 3 miles W. of Lyme Regis, and 4½ miles S. of Axminster, has only 143 inhabitants, and 796 acres of land. H. Knight, Esq., is owner of nearly all the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £8. 11. 8d., and in 1831 at £127. The Rev. Z.J. Edwards, M.A., of Axminster, is the present rector, and has about 30 acres of glebe. The parsonage is a small cottage. The tithes were commuted, in 1845, for £120 per annum. The Church (St. Mary,) is an interesting little structure, with some very ancient communion plate. The manor was long held by the Coffin and Pyne families, and afterwards by the Bonvilles, Greys, and Petres. Directory :- James Loveridge, blacksmith; Thos. Snell, parish clerk; Fras. Symes, tailor; and Robert Bentley, Thos. Marshall, and John Morey, farmers." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.