"CORNWORTHY, is a small village, in the picturesque and well woody valley, near the confluence of the Harbourn river with the estuary of the Dart, 4 miles S.S.E. of Totnes. Its parish contains 554 inhabitants, and 2575 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Allaleigh, East Cornworthy, Tideford and part of Tuckenhay, where there are quays on the river Harbourn, and paper and corn mills in the adjoining parish of Ashprington. William Newman, Esq., is lord of the manor of Cornworthy, or Concorde; and George Strode, Esq., is lord of the manor of East Cornworthy; but a great part of the parish belongs to Sir J.L. Duntze, the Rev. Jacob Ley, J.F.P. Phillips, M.P. French, Pp. Michelmore, John and Edw. Holditch, and a few smaller freeholders. . . . Cornworthy Priory, for nuns of the order of St. Austin, was founded at an early period by one of the lords of Totnes, and was valued at £63 per annum at dissolution. The venerable gateway of the priory is still standing near the farm-house of Court Prior, and some remains of the chapel may be seen in the barn. This estate was long held by the Harris family, but now belongs to Mr. John Holditch. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, in the early perpendicular style, with a tower and six bells, but the stone mullions have been replaced by wooden frames. The rood screen and the old Norman font remain. In the chancel is a monument, with effigies of Sir Thomas Harris, his wife, and four children, erected about 1610. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £220, is endowed with the great tithes of Abbotskerswell and has a good residence and 35A. 38P.. of glebe. The Rev. W.K. Sweetland, M.A., is patron and incumbent. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Cornworthy and District Local History Group. Memories from the 20's, 30's and 40's: Ashprington, Tuckenhay, Cornworthy, Mrs S. Johnson, Turvey, Tuckenhay, nr Totnes, TQ9 7EQ (2008?).
Harris, S.G. John Tucker: parish clerk of Cornworthy and antiquary. Trans. Dev. Ass., v.25 (1893) pp470-481. [Harris family] [Index]
Index to the 1841 Census, from the Parishes of the South Hams website.
Cornworthy - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Windeatt, Edward and Hugh Robert. The Priory for Nuns of St Marys, Cornworthy, Devon. Suppl. to Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries 11, 5-8. Exeter: J.G. Commin (1921).
Parish Registers going back to 1562 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1840 - for details see their book list.
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
The Deanery of Totnes: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials . . . with photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850, CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009).
McNaught, M.J. (transcr.). Totnes Deanery Marriages, Vol. 1 - Ashprington: M 1597-1649, 1657-1850, strays index & banns only index, Blackawton: M 1538-1850, strays index & banns only index 1758-73, 1785, 1796, Buckfastleigh: M 1597-1641, 1650-57, 1668-1850, strays index, Cornworthy: M 1568-1642, 1653-1850, strays index, Dartington: M 1538-55, 1569-83, 1589-1635, 1653-1850, strays index, (2006). [SoG Library, DE/R 98]
Transcription of the entry in White's Devonshire Directory (1850) by Terry Partridge.
Transcription provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cornworthy to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cornworthy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Legge, John. Villages of the South Hams: Ashprington, Tuckenhay, Cornworthy, Harbertonford, East Allington, Obelisk Publications (2001). [ISBN 1 903585 05 8] [Index]
Peeke, Bruce R. Some Aspects of the Parish of Cornworthy in the First Half of the Nineteenth Century. Devonshire Association Trans. vol. 123 (1991), pp. 105-27.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX829555 (Lat/Lon: 50.387692, -3.648576), Cornworthy which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)