"CORYTON, a small scattered parish, between and near the confluence of the rivers Lyd and Lew, 6½ miles N.N.W. of Tavistock, contains 374 souls, and 1335A, of land, including 283A. of woods and plantations, and a large and excellent slate quarry, first opened in 1778, and celebrated for roofing, flooring, tombstones, chimney pieces, billiard tables, &c. . . . Thomas Newman, Esq., is owner of the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £8. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £218. The Rev. Rd. Newman is the incumbent, and has 71A. 3R. 10P. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence, in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1836. . . . The Church (St. Andrew,) is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells, and was completely renovated in 1838, when it was re-seated, and a new north transept added. At the coronation of Queen Victoria, here were great rejoicings, but the festivities were unhappily terminated by the explosion of a large cannon, while reloading, which killed two men and four boys, and wounded many others. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.