From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
Transcribed by Neil Stanton
CORYTON - a small scattered parish, between and near the confluence of the rivers Lyd and Lew, 6½ miles N.N.W. of Tavistock, contains 374 souls, and 1335A. of land, including 283A. of woods and plantations, and a large and excellent slate quarry, first opened in 1778, and celebrated for roofing, flooring, tombstones, chimney pieces, billiard tables, &c. Slabs, containing 140 superficial feet, and. perfectly level, have been got by Messrs. Symons, who have worked the quarry 37 years. Thomas Newman, Esq., is owner of the soil, lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in KB. at £8. 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £218. The Rev Rd. Newman is the incumbent, and. has 71A. 3R. 10P. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence, in the Elizabethan style, erected in 1836. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £160.10s. per annum. The Church (St. Andrew,) is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells, and was completely renovated in 1838, when it was re-seated, and a new north transept added. At the coronation of Queen Victoria, here were great rejoicings, but the festivities were unhappily terminated by the explosion of a large cannon, while reloading, which killed two men and four boys, and wounded many others. The parish school was built in 1839, at the expense of Sir R. W. Newman and Thomas Newman, Esq. The poor parishioners have the interest of £10, and also a fourth share of an annuity of £80, left in 1808, by Arthur Tremayne, for the poor of Coryton, Lamerton, South Sydenham, and Marystowe.
Blatchford Thomas, blacksmith
Davey Henry, carpenter
Hoidge ----, hind to T. Newman, Esq.
Newman Rev Richard, Rectory
Symons Thos. & Chas. slate merchants, &c, Manor Cottage
FARMERS - John and Wm. Cumming, Ts. Sloman, and Rd. Hamley
Brian Randell, 30 Aug 2003