"A small village on the coast of the Bristol Channel, near the borders of Somersetshire, 2 miles E of Lynton & 14 miles West of Minehead, has in its parish 185 souls & 2941 acres of land including WILSHAM hamlet, & part of LYNMOUTH. The Rev. W. S . Halliday is lord of the Manor & owner of a great part of the soil, & has a pleasant seat called "Glynthorn" ... facing the sea. "East Lynmouth House" belongs to the Rev. Thomas Roe & a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (St. John) was repaired & the tower rebuilt about 14 years ago, when a school was built near it." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shirlwell Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and Diocese of Exeter, 15½ miles N.E. of Ilfracombe, which had 187 inhabitants in 1831. According to Peskett, it was united to (but with separate registers from) Lynton before 1858, and Lynmouth chapel was annexed to it in 1886.
Chanter, John F. The parishes of Lynton and Countisbury. Trans. Devon. Assoc. 38, (1906), plates: illus, maps, pp. 114-168, 169-224. [Index to Part 1, Index to Part 2]
Chanter, J.F. On Certain Documents Relating to the History of Lynton and Countisbury. Trans. Devon Assoc. 38 (1906) pp.225-254.
Chanter, John F. The History of the Parishes of Lynton and Countisbury, their antiquities, manors, churches and families, and some account of the natural history and botany of the neighbourhood. J. G. Commin: Exeter, (1907). 192p, plates: ill, maps. BL 010358.k.19. [LDS film 1426109 Item 8] [Contains genealogies of Barbor; Wichehalse; Welsh; Dart; Salisbury; Venner; Lovering; Rolle; Acland; Popham; Berry and Knight families]
The Lyn Journal: a chronological record of the events which occurred in the parishes of Lynton, Lynmouth and Countisbury. Photocopy (1956) 2 vols. [Westcountry Studies Library - xB/LYN 3/0001/LYN]