From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

COUNTESBURY, or Countisbury, a small village, on the coast of the Bristol Channel, near the borders of Somersetshire, 2 miles E, of Lynton, and 14 miles W. of Minehead, has in its parish 185 souls, and 2941 acres of land, including Wilsham hamlet, and part of Lynmouth. The Rev. W.S. Halliday is lord of the manor and owner of a great part of the soil, and has a pleasant seat called Glynthorne, at the foot of a bold acclivity, facing the sea. East Lynmouth House belongs to the Rev. Thomas Roe, and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish. The Church (St. John,) was repaired and the tower rebuilt about 14 years ago, when a school was built near it. The perpetual curacy is consolidated with that of Lynton, and has the same patronage, appropriation, and incumbency.

Elworthy John, butcher
Halliday Rev. W.S., Glynthorne
Ley John, corn miller
Newton James, vict. Blue Ball
Roe Rev. Thomas, East Lynmouth


(* = at Wilsham)

*Jones John || Jones Wm., Ashton
*Litson John || Lock John

Brian Randell, 7 Aug 1999