Inquests Taken Into Suspicious Or Unexplained Deaths

For the County of Devon

Articles taken from the Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette)

Printed at Tiverton, Devon

1860 and 1861

Transcribed by Lindsey Withers

Coroner's Inquests were usually held within the space of 48 hours following a death that appeared to be of a suspicious or unexplained nature. They were usually held in a local public-house, ale house, municipal building, or parish workhouse, but sometimes in the building where the death occurred. The Coroner usually came from a legal or medical background and more often than not, appointed for life by the respective County. The Coroner and a Jury of between 12 and 24 persons, usually men of substantial standing, were empanelled to examine the body, hear witnesses, and the Jury then to come to a Verdict as to Cause of Death. The account of the Inquest appearing in local newspapers, included the name of the deceased, where they died, and how they died. Sometimes, age, occupation, parish or address, and other relatives' names can be found. In later years when Hospitals appear, people can be dying away from their parish after having been admitted to that institution, and the Inquest is therefore conducted where the death occurred, rather than where the person was living.

[Numbers in brackets indicate the number of times that name occurs.]

Names Included: Babbage; Bakehouse; Baker; Beedell; Bidgood; Bourne; Bulley; Burgess; Burrows; Comins; Cunningham; Darby; Dawe; Dennis; Dicken; Disney; Drew; Fare; Finnimore; Ford; Frost; Gibbons; Gooding; Greenslade; Heard(2); Hill(2); Hookway; Hooper; Hunt; Ingersent; Jarvis; Kent; Leverton; Locke; Martin; Mills; Milton; Mitchell; Monday; Moore; Newton; Packer; Palmer; Pomeroy; Powlesland; Prin; Radford(2); Richards; Rowland; Rudd; Stephenson; Tarr; Trew; Trickey; Vellacott; Warren; Western; Wilson; Yates; Young.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 10 January 1860
EXETER - Fatal Accident. - An Inquest was held on Wednesday week at the Valiant Soldier Inn, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of WILLIAM DAWE, aged 55 years. Deceased, who was a farmer and resided at Wood's Farm, Ottery St Mary, on Friday last was returning home from Exeter, on horseback, and whilst passing through Honiton's Clist his horse started off, when it fell, and deceased was thrown with such violence to the ground as to cause a fracture of the skull. Assistance was procured and the poor fellow was removed to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, where he died on Monday week. The Jury, after hearing the evidence of Mr C. B. Rendle, House Surgeon, returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 24 January 1860
EXETER - Melancholy Case Of Drowning. - An Inquest was held at the Royal George Inn, on Monday week, before W. H. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of CHARLES CUNNINGHAM, whose body was found in the canal on Saturday week. The deceased, who was about fifty-nine years of age, has been for a number of years a messenger at the Custom-house, at the Quay. From the evidence, it appeared that he was of a weak and excitable state of mind. Although generally of very sober habits, since New Year's Day he has been given to drink, a small quantity of which generally excited him. On Wednesday he was intoxicated and neglected to perform some duty required of him. The collector of customs admonished him for his neglect, and he then went home in an excited state. After a short stay he wished to rush out of the house, but was ultimately prevailed upon by his daughter to go to bed. Whilst in bed he said, "I am in my own bed tonight, but tomorrow I shall be in a colder one." About six o'clock the following morning he left his house, being still very excited, and was seen by his daughter running over the Leat Bridge on the Quay. Nothing further was seen of him from that time until Saturday; but about eight o'clock on Thursday morning, a young man, named Reynolds, a slater and plasterer, while walking down the left bank of the canal, towards Turf, saw a man's hat in the water. He took it out and carried it on to Turf, where it remained until Friday evening. In the meantime, however, as CUNNINGHAM did not return, suspicions that he had drowned himself were entertained and the river and canal were dragged, but without success. Reynolds brought the hat from Turf to Exeter on Friday night when he heard for the first time that the river had been dragged for a man's body. He immediately took it to the Custom-house, where it was identified by MISS CUNNINGHAM as the one her father wore on Thursday morning. The canal, near the spot where the hat was found (about three miles from the Quay), was thereupon dragged on Saturday, and after some time the body was recovered. The witnesses were questioned by the Jury as to whether they thought a man could walk down the Banks at half-past six o'clock in the morning without danger of falling into the water. In answer, they stated that they thought it could be safely done, as the path was wide. The Coroner having summed up, the Jury by a majority of twelve to five returned a verdict of "Found Drowned." The minority were in favour of a verdict that deceased drowned himself while in a state of unsound mind.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 21 February 1860
BRADNINCH - Accident. - On Tuesday last, a girl named CHARLOTTE BULLEY, aged 12 years, was reaching for something on the mantle shelf. Her clothes caught on fire, and she was burnt so dreadfully that she expired in six hours. A Coroner's Inquest was held on the following day before R. Crosse, Esq., when the Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 6 March 1860
EXETER - A Warning To Drunkards. - An Inquest was held at the Fireman's Arms, Preston-street, on Monday afternoon, before H. D. Barton, Esq., Deputy Coroner, on the body of a man, forty-six years of age, named FREDERICK RICHARDS. The deceased was a barber residing in Preston-street, and has been much given to drink. On the night of Friday, the 17th of February, he was drinking at the Fireman's Arms, and when he rose up to go home he was unable to stand. A man named Sheen, and the landlord, assisted him home, and he was put to bed. RICHARDS had been drunk for several days previous. On getting up the following morning, in answer to his wife, he muttered some unintelligible words. Believing that he was still labouring under the effects of liquor she left him in his bed. Finding, however, that he did not get any better, she applied for medical assistance at the Corporation of the Poor. Mr A. J. Cuming, Surgeon, visited the deceased and found his right arm and side paralysed. He was perfectly insensible and continued to up to the time of his death, which occurred on Friday week. Mr Cuming stated that death had resulted from apoplexy, without doubt caused by continued drunkenness. The Jury returned a verdict of "Died from Apoplexy."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 13 March 1860
UFFCULME - An Inquest was held at the George Inn, on Friday last, before R. H. Aberdein, Esq., coroner on the body of a male child, which was found in a water closet on the premises of Mr Hussey, baker, of this place, with whom the mother, MARY ANN RADFORD, was living as a servant. The evidence of Mr Bryden, Surgeon, who examined the body, satisfied the Jury that the child was still born, when a verdict was returned accordingly. The mother, when sufficiently recovered, will take her trial for concealment of birth.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 10 April 1860
TIVERTON - Death By Drowning. - An Inquest was held at the Fox and Hounds Inn, Bolham, on Thursday last, before F. Mackenzie, Esq., Coroner, and a Jury, touching the death of JOHN NEWTON, of Rock, who was found drowned the previous day near Bolham Weir. It appeared that as a woman named Nash was passing on the road, near the spot above mentioned, on Wednesday morning, she saw a coat and hat lying on the hedge. She called the attention of Mr Were, who was near, to the fact, and assistance having been procured, and search made along the bank of the river, the body of deceased was found in the Mill Leat. Some money was also found in the water near to the spot where the clothes lay, which is supposed to have fallen from the waistcoat pocket of deceased. MR ISAAC NEWTON stated that his brother had been in a desponding state of mind for some days previous to this sad event, but there being no evidence to show at what time, or in what state, he left Tiverton on Tuesday, where he had been to market, the Jury returned a verdict of "Found Drowned."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 17 April 1860
EXETER - Death From A Blow. - An Inquest was held at the Round tree Inn, on Monday, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of an old man named JOHN MOORE, aged seventy-two. The hour appointed for holding the Inquest was two o'clock, but the Court was delayed more than half-an-hour in consequence of the requisite number of Jurors not having attended. The coroner intimated that if such occurrence again took place he should be compelled to impose a fine. It appeared that on the morning of the 28th of March the deceased was at work as usual at Mr Mortimer's, a brush-maker, in Paul-street. during the morning an apprentice named James Trood, told Brook, a boy in Mr Mortimer's employ, to put on some fire. Deceased asked Trood why he wanted fire, and thereupon struck him. A fight then ensued between deceased and Trood. Ultimately the latter, according to the evidence of Brook (which, however, did not obtain much credence either with the Coroner or the Jury) struck MOORE a blow in the face and gave him a pair of black eyes. Brook stated that MOORE struck the first blow without any provocation. During the morning MOORE was sick and he afterwards told Mr Mortimer that Trood had struck him with a stool. On his return home to dinner at his lodgings in Frog-street, he was very much enfeebled, and a man named Troake, a relative, with whom he lived, considered that he was intoxicated. Notwithstanding that he was convinced in his mind that he was drunk, on MOORE'S requesting him to get him some beer he did so, and afterwards offered him rum and water, with the avowed object of "bringing him round." He continued to get worse from that time, but requested that no medical man should be sent for. Troake, however, sent for Mr S. S. Perkins on the 6th instant, who, on his arrival, found the poor man in a very low state. He prescribed for him, but he died early on Sunday morning. Mr Perkins said he was unable at present to state positively the cause of death and a post-mortem examination was therefore ordered, and the Inquest adjourned until yesterday.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 22 May 1860
CULLOMPTON - Melancholy Death. - HENRY FARE, aged about fifteen, and son of a labourer, residing at Langford village, in the parish of Cullompton, met with his death by drowning; and this melancholy event exposes most deplorable sanitary defects. Deceased lived with his parents, who occupy one of a row of cottages - four other families being their immediate neighbours, consisting of men, women and children. Not the least outhouse convenience for necessary purposes is provided for these families and the custom has been for the different members to resort to a gutter, a short distance from the house. About six o'clock on Saturday morning, deceased repaired to that place, and not returning within an hour, his younger brother went in search, and found him drowned in the gutter. The state of his clothes left no doubt as to the purpose for which deceased went there, and as he was subject to fits, it is supposed that he was seized with epilepsy and fell into the water. An Inquest was held before R. R. Crosse, Esq., on Monday week, when a verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned - the Jury not forgetting to animadvert pretty strongly upon the disgusting facts which this catastrophe developed, and to which the poor lad's death is doubtless attributable.

EXETER - An Inquest was held on Tuesday at the Blue Boar Inn, before Mr H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of MARY RUDD, aged seventy-two years. Deceased resided in Magdalen-street and on Monday, the 7th of May, was observed by a neighbour, named Piper, apparently asleep on the stairs, and shortly afterwards was found lying at the foot of the stairs, bleeding from the nose and mouth. Deceased was removed to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, where she died on Tuesday. The Jury returned a verdict that deceased died from "Apoplexy."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 5 June 1860
BROADCLYST - On Saturday last, the body of a young man named WILLIAM LOCKE, about 20 years of age, was found suspended from some laurel on the grounds of Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. Deceased was an under-gardener of the baronet's and was at his work as usual on Friday, in the evening of which day he is supposed to have committed the deed. A Coroner's Inquest was held on the body, and the Jury returned a verdict of "Temporary Insanity."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 12 June 1860
EXETER - Remarkable Cases of Poisoning. - Considerable excitement has been caused in the City during the past week in consequence of the sudden illness and death, under peculiar circumstances, of MR SAMUEL HOOKWAY, coppersmith, of St David's Hill. On Whit Monday, Mrs Jacobs, a member of the Hebrew persuasion, and a neighbour of the deceased, gave a small portion of friend gurnet to MRS HOOKWAY for her daughter, who was ill. The daughter was unable to eat any of the fish, but the deceased, his wife and a grandchild partook of it. On the following morning MRS HOOKWAY was taken ill and the deceased fetched the Surgeon (Mr Johnson Webb), who immediately attended upon her. Shortly after Mr Webb had left the deceased himself complained of illness, but he did not consider it of such a nature as to prevent his proceeding to the North of Devon, where he was employed. He therefore left home, but the illness became so severe that it was necessary for him to return on Thursday week, and the symptoms (which were apparently those resulting from poisoning) became so alarming that the family of the deceased consulted Dr Budd, who subsequently acted in concert with Mr Webb. All efforts, however, to restore the deceased were unavailing and he died on Sunday afternoon. the symptoms induced many to believe that death had been caused by the accidental mixture of poison with the oil in which the fish had been friend, and this supposition was in some measure confirmed by the fact that MRS HOOKWAY and her grandchild, who had partaked of the fish, had also been suddenly seized with illness, the symptoms of which were precisely similar to those in the deceased's case, but from what has since transpired the idea can no longer be entertained. It appears that about the same time Mrs Jacobs, who had purchased a stock of meat prior to the Feast of Pentecost, gave to a poor neighbour, Mrs Maunder, about 10lbs. of beef and veal in an undressed state, Mrs Maunder consenting to wash a quantity of Mrs Jacobs clothes for the meat. Mrs Maunder and her daughter ate a small quantity of the meat and they were taken ill in the same way as the HOOKWAYS, and the remainder of the meat was subsequently returned to Mrs Jacobs. The whole case, therefore, is involved in mystery, more particularly as no traces of poison have been detected in the body of the deceased, after a post-mortem examination by the medical men. - An Inquest was held on Monday and adjourned to Tuesday, when a verdict that the deceased died from the effects of eating fish fried whilst in a partial state of decay, and therefore poisonous, was returned.

PLYMOUTH - In our impression of the 5th, we stated that MR GEORGE KIRK YATES, a corporal in the 10th Regiment of Food, and formerly of Tiverton, was accidentally drowned at Plymouth on the previous Sunday. It appears that deceased and another corporal named Simpson went out in a boat on the day in question, and had not proceeded far before they were hailed by one of deceased's comrades, who wished to go with them. They turned the boat and was approaching the shore, but the sea being very rough at the time they were carried towards a wall, and deceased, in endeavouring to keep the boat from striking the wall, caused it to capsize and both the occupants were thrown into the water. Deceased rose once, when the boat struck him, and he never afterwards appeared above the surface. Simpson managed to reach the shore. The deceased was in the water three-quarters of an hour. An Inquest was held on Monday and a verdict of "Accidentally Drowned" was returned. On Tuesday he was buried, and was followed to the grave by three officers of the regiment and sixty privates. His wife was also present at the funeral. Deceased was held in very high esteem by his officers and comrades and there was every probability of his promotion being very rapid.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 19 June 1860
EXETER - An inquest was held on Tuesday, at the Valiant Soldier Inn, before the City Coroner, on the body of WILLIAM GOODING, aged thirty-six, who came by his death under the following circumstances:- The deceased was a navvy, and worked on the Exeter and Exmouth Railway, and on the 17th of April last, while at work in the parish of Woodbury, a quantity of earth fell, and before deceased could get out of the way he was violently struck by the earth, sustaining serious injuries. Deceased was attended by Dr Brent, of Woodbury, but was subsequently removed to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, where he died on Monday last. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 26 June 1860
BISHOPS HULL, TAUNTON, SOMERSET - An Inquest was held on Monday, at the New Inn, Bishop's Hull, near Taunton, on the body of MR JAMES VELLACOTT, a farmer of Barnstaple. Deceased had been on a visit to Mr Weaver, of Staplegrove mills, Roughmoor, and on Monday morning he went to bathe in the river Tone, in company with the son of MR Weaver. It is supposed that he was seized with cramp, for before assistance could be rendered he was drowned. Verdict, "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 10 July 1860
SPREYTON - Death from a singular cause has happened at Falkadon Farm, Spreyton. MRS POWLESLAND and her niece were engaged in milking the cows, - the aunt was in a linhay and the niece in the court-yard. Presently MISS POWLESLAND observed milk flowing from the linhay, and on going inside she discovered her aunt prostrated on her back quite dead. The milk pail had been upset, but the cow was standing perfectly still. It was supposed that the deceased had accidentally fallen backwards, and had thus injured the vertebrae of the neck. Mr Vallack held an Inquest upon the body; and after hearing the evidence of Mr Battishill, Surgeon, the Jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.

TIVERTON - An Inquest was held at the Guildhall on Friday evening last, before W. Partridge, Esq., Deputy Coroner, touching the death of JAMES BURGESS, formerly a lace-hand in the Factory and who lived in West Exe. On Thursday evening the deceased, whose health had been impaired some time, complained of being very ill, and Mr Wellington, chemist, who had attended him occasionally, was sent for, but when he arrived he discovered that the pulse at the wrist had ceased to beat. Mr Wellington endeavoured to administer some stimulant, but deceased was unable to swallow. Mr Lamotte, Surgeon, was sent for without delay, but when he arrived the vital spark had fled. Deceased had been suffering some years from disease of the heart. A verdict of "Died by the Visitation of God" was returned.

EXETER - EDWARD PALMER, a weaver, aged 72 years, was killed at St David's Station on Wednesday. He resided in St. Thomas, and was driving a barrow across the St David's Station when a truck knocked him down, passed over his head and shoulders, and killed him instantaneously. An Inquest was held on Thursday before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, and a verdict of Accidental Death returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 24 July 1860
TIVERTON - An Inquest was held at Buckhayes, on Tuesday last, before F. Mackenzie, Esq., Coroner, on the body of MR THOMAS FROST, farmer, of the above village. It appeared from the evidence of Mr Robt. Turner, machine maker, who was helping deceased to carry hay, that on Monday the 16th inst., they were proceeding with two waggons along the Huntsham road, deceased sitting on the shafts of the hinder one. The horse attached to the waggon driven by deceased started off at a quick pace, which caused him to fall off the shafts. The wheels passed over his head and killed him on the spot. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.

EXETER - An Inquest was held at the Valiant Soldier Inn, on Monday week, before the City Coroner, on the body of a little boy, nine years of age, named WILLIAM HUNT. The deceased, who was the son of a dairyman, living at Oakford, was sent by his father with grist to the mill of Mr R. Beedell, at Stoodleigh. During the temporary absence of Mr Beedell, the lad by some means got entangled in the machinery and his right arm was crushed by the wheel. On being immediately extricated he was attended to by Mr Edwards, Surgeon, for some time; but was subsequently removed to the Devon and Exeter Hospital. On his arrival there amputation of the arm was found necessary, which was accordingly performed; but the poor little fellow did not survive many days. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.

EXETER - Death Of Two Lads By Drowning. - An Inquest was held on Monday at the Paper Makers' Arms, Exe-lane, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the bodies of two youths named PRIN and WILSON, aged respectively about nineteen and fifteen. The deceased were in the employ of Messrs. Franklin and co., coach builders, of this City, as are also their fathers. About six o'clock on Saturday evening they left the shop together and proceeded with two other lads to Head Weir to bathe. PRIN, who could swim, first went into the water followed by WILSON. The latter could not swim, and PRIN induced him to get on his back; and he thus swam across the river with him. On reaching the opposite bank they rested a short time, and had started to return, WILSON being still on PRIN'S back. They had not, however, proceeded but a few yards from the bank when their friends - Keen and Hellier - who were bathing on the opposite side, saw WILSON disappear under the water. At first they considered that PRIN was dipping him or teaching him to swim, but this idea was quickly dispelled when they saw PRIN throw up his arms and also disappear beneath the water. Neither Keen nor Hellier could swim, and they were, therefore, unable to render assistance to their unfortunate companions. They immediately let the water and crossing on the bridge called for a boat. Capt. Dacie was present in an arbour overlooking the river, with some friends, all of whom immediately proceeded to the scene. They got into a boat and commenced a search with the paddles. After a short time the body of PRIN was raised on a paddle, but just as it reached the surface of the water it slipped off the paddle and again fell into the water. Although there were about a hundred persons present at this time, only one got into the water to endeavour to save the lives of the poor lads, but he soon became exhausted and left. A young man, named Thomas Tapley, however, having arrived at this point, immediately jumped into the water and soon succeeded in bringing the body of PRIN to the surface, when it was placed in a boat and conveyed to the bank. Restoratives were immediately applied by Capt. Dacie and his friends, but although it was considered that life was not quite extinct when he reached the land, yet he was soon past all human aid. Search was made for the other body, and after ten minutes it was found by Tapley, whose noble conduct throughout received the highest commendation from the Coroner and Jury. The Coroner having remarked on the melancholy character of the case, the Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 31 July 1860
EXETER ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE - Death By Drowning. - A Melancholy Catastrophe. - An Inquest was held before R. R. Crosse, Esq., Coroner, on Tuesday, at the Plymouth Inn, St. Thomas, on the body of WILLIAM TREW, formerly in the 78th regiment of foot and for six years a sergeant in the First Devon Militia; and on the body of a little boy, named GEORGE WESTERN, aged ten years, the son of a widow of this City. - Mrs Lang, who resides in a cottage adjoining the canal, stated that on Saturday afternoon her little boy called out to her that a lad was in the canal. She screamed out, and at that moment she saw WILLIAM TREW coming towards her, with a fishing rod in his hand. Seeing the lad in the water he immediately jumped upon a piece of plank in the canal and then into the water after the boy she saw the lad get upon TREW'S back, climb up the piece of timber and get safely to the bank. TREW was sinking and then she observed two other boys in the water. - Leonard Gerry, who was working in the gas house adjoining, having heard an alarm, went to the canal and saw TREW, who was in the water, with three boys. Witness and a man called William Beer, got upon some planks and reached out a stick, by which two of the boys were saved. When these were landed witness lost sight of TREW and the other boy; but by this time "grapples" were brought. Witness saw TREW near him under water, and he put out his hand and landed him. He believed that he had not been under water more than three minutes. When taken out he was, to all appearance, dead, but they rubbed and rolled him on the bank and Mr Edwards o the Port Royal, sent for a doctor. In the meantime the boy, who was in the water three or four minutes after TREW had been taken out, was rescued, but was quite dead. Mr Marchant, Surgeon, soon arrived, and TREW was taken into the gas-house. The body was placed by the fire and every exertion was used to restore animation. The deceased revived for a little time and groaned, but he died about two hours after having been taken into the house. - RICHARD WESTERN, a lad twelve years old, and the brother of the deceased lad, stated that his mother sent him to the Haven Banks to gather sticks. His two brothers, who were twins, accompanied him. After looking at Mr Hamlin, who was fishing, one of his brothers went on some planks, which were in the canal, to catch minnows. In endeavouring to do so he fell in. The other brother also got upon the planks and fell into the canal; and witness was so frightened that he did not see where he was going and fell into the water also. TREW jumped in to try to save them; and witness and one of his brothers were helped out by Gerry with a stick. The brother, who was the second to fall in, was the one drowned. - Mr William R. F. Marchant, Surgeon, stated that he examined the body of TREW when taken out of the water, and found him insensible. He was breathing feebly and his pulse was also exceedingly feeble. Witness had his clothes removed, the body wrapped in flannels and friction applied to the limbs &c. He also adopted Dr Marshall Hall's method for producing artificial respiration. Hot stone was likewise applied to the feet and an apparatus containing hot water was applied to the surface of the body. He also applied mustard poultices to the calves of the legs, the chest and the back of the neck. Ammonia was applied to the throat and passed in front of the nose. An improvement was visible in breathing, but the lungs were never properly filled with air. TREW died after he had applied remedies for two hours. - The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death" in the case of the lad; and "Death from Attempting to Rescue WESTERN" in the case of TREW. - The deceased, TREW, was buried in St. Thomas's churchyard on Tuesday afternoon, with military honours. The band of the First Devon Militia attended and played the Dead March in Saul. A troop of the 9th Lancers and a number of the Militia formed an imposing military procession. There was an immense concourse of spectators present to witness the funeral. The Lancers fired volleys over the grave.

SWIMBRIDGE - Fatal Accident. - On Friday week a boy, named LEVERTON, son of a farmer at Stowford, in the parish of Swimbridge, accidentally shot off his arm while employed in scaring birds from an orchard. It appears that for some time past the boy had been provided with a gun for the purpose above-named, and on the day in question was engaged as usual in scaring the birds from the cherry trees, when, by some means or other, the gun went off, lodging the contents in the upper part of his right arm, inflicting extensive injuries of the muscles and shattering the bone frightfully. It became imperatively necessary, as the only chance of life, to amputate the limb close to the shoulder joint. The operation was performed by Mr James Flexman, of Southmolton, assisted by Mr Furse, about three hours after the accident occurred. During and after the operation the poor boy lost four ounces of blood; but, nothing having been done to arrest haemorrhage, it had been excessive during the period that had elapsed before medical assistance could be obtained. However, after the operation, the boy seemed composed, and slept soundly for several hours; but early on Saturday morning, vomiting supervened and death almost immediately ensued - the unhappy sufferer only surviving the accident fourteen hours. - On Monday last an Inquest was held, when a verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 21 August 1860
EXETER - An Inquest was held at the Blue Boar Inn, Magdalen-street, Exeter, on Monday last, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of a girl, named THOMASIN TRICKEY, aged about sixteen years. The deceased, who resided with her grandmother at Cullompton, was employed at Messrs. Drew and Comins's paper mills, in the parish of Bradninch. On the 23rd of July she was engaged with Ann Tatchell in cutting some rags with a portion of a scythe. Deceased's scythe required sharpening and she went with Tatchell to another part f the mill to grind it. The scythe was ground at a grinding stone driven by water power, and, in turning round to leave the room, the crinoline which she wore caught in one of the cogs. The poor girl was lifted from the ground and her legs were drawn into the wheel. The machinery was almost instantly stopped and she was extricated, but her legs were dreadfully mutilated. Three Surgeons - Messrs. Spencer, Potter and Puddicombe - speedily arrived and advised the removal of the girl to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, whither she was conveyed the same evening. On examination by Mr Rendle, the House Surgeon, it was found that the right leg was completely smashed and the left leg was severely fractured. Amputation of both legs was performed and although the girl rallied for a short time, pleurisy succeeded, which with the combined effects of the injury, terminated her life on Sunday morning last. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 28 August 1860
EXETER - Fatal Accident. - An Inquest was held at the Blue Boar Inn, on Tuesday morning, before the City Coroner, H. W. Hooper, Esq., on the body of an elderly female, named ANN WARREN. The deceased, who was the wife of a bargeman, living at Countess Weir, was fifty-three years of age. Being in a garden at Topsham on the 13th of June last she fell and sustained a severe wound in her shoulder. She was taken to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, where notwithstanding the utmost attention paid to her, she gradually became worse and erysipelas supervening she died on Monday. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 4 September 1860
SOUTH MOLTON - An Inquest was held on Thursday before James Flexman, Esq., and a highly respectable Jury, of which Mr Alderman Pearce was the Foreman, on the body of SARAH COMINS, aged 50 years, sister to MR JAMES COMINS, whitesmith of this town. It will be in the remembrance of our readers that MISS COMINS was thrown out of a four-wheel, some weeks since, on her way to the Station from this town, when she received a very serious injury to her face, that terminated in lock-jaw, which her death. Verdict, Accidental Death.

EXETER ST THOMAS THE APOSTLE. - Fatal Railway Accident. - An accident which resulted fatally occurred on the South Devon Railway on Wednesday. It appears that a man named JAMES DICKEN, in the employ of Mr Taylor, contractor for doubling the line between Exeter and Exminster, after taking his dinner, sat on the wall of the bridge near the Station and fell asleep, when the express train came up and caught him, smashing his leg and thigh to atoms, and fearfully mutilating his body. He was immediately removed to the King's Arms Inn, St. Thomas, but life was quite extinct. An Inquest was held on the body on Thursday, when a verdict of Accidental Death was returned.

HARBERTON - Suicide Of A Clergyman. - The REV. G. MARTIN, chancellor of the diocese of Exeter, committed suicide at Harberton, near Totnes on Monday, by cutting his throat. The deceased gentleman was well known to the majority of persons who take an interest in clerical affairs, having been an active member of the Lower House of the Convocation of the Province of Canterbury since its actual powers were revived a few years since. He belonged to the moderate church party as distinguished from Archdeacon Denison, Mr Massingberd and Mr Selwyn, on the one hand and Sir Henry Thompson, Dr McCaul and Mr Best, on the other. He was essentially practical in all his measures, and was always listened to with marked attention when he addressed the reverend assembly. MR MARTIN was educated at New College, Oxford, where he graduated in 1813 and was shortly afterwards ordained by Dr Cornewall, Bishop of Worcester, in whose diocese he served several minor offices in the church. In 1816 he was appointed a canon residentiary of Exeter Cathedral, worth £734 a year; and four years afterwards became chancellor of the diocese, which is worth £420 a year. Shortly after this he was nominated by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, of which body he was a member, to the vicarage of Harberton, near Totnes and these appointments he has held up to the time of his death, CHANCELLOR MARTIN was a man of quiet an studious habits and was much respected throughout the diocese. - The melancholy circumstances connected with the death of the deceased are detailed in the following evidence adduced at an Inquest held before W. A. Cockney, Esq., on Tuesday, at Harberton. The first witness called was MRS RENIRA HENRIETTA ALDEBURGH MARTIN, who said:- The deceased was my husband; lately he has not been so strong, but his general health has not been bad during the last three weeks; he has been very nervous; I remarked it seriously about that time ago; he said he felt himself much overdone by business. He was rector of this parish, Chancellor of this diocese, Canon of Exeter Cathedral and was much engaged in ecclesiastical duties. On Friday there was a parish meeting, about which he was very much disturbed. Mr Kellock, solicitor, attended that meeting. On Sunday last, Deceased preached in the morning, read the prayers in the afternoon and baptised a child. He came home in the evening and was very low; he retired to rest about half-past ten; he did not disturb me during the night; he did not sleep well for many nights, nor did he on Sunday night. On Monday morning he got up about eight o'clock. When he awoke he said he had a spasm through the heart; he partially dressed himself and then shaved and put on his boots. I was in and out of his dressing-room every minute and was very much frightened because he seemed so much unlike himself; I was in the same room with him, but separated from him by a partition, and I got close to the doorway; I heard a noise, and was satisfied he was dressing; but suddenly he stopped and I heard a violent pouring of something gurgling; I ran into the room and found him kneeling with his arms over the foot pan, and I saw he had cut his throat on both sides; he was not quite dead; I poured brandy down his throat and sent for Mr Owen, who arrived from Totnes in about forty minutes; he came while MR MARTIN was still living, but gave no hopes of his recovery; I should think he lived about twenty minutes after Mr Owen came; that was about an hour after he cut his throat, but I cannot say exactly. - T. C. Kellock, Esq. ,Solicitor of Totnes, deposed that the matter which so disturbed the deceased was, that a special return of the charities having been asked for by the Charity Commissioners, a mistake occurred in the account sent up, the sum of 3s. 2 ½d. being stated as expended, instead of carried forward. He was so miserable about it that witness was satisfied he did not exhibit his usual strength of mind. Witness detailed other circumstances which proved beyond doubt that deceased was suffering from mental aberration. - The Jury returned a verdict that the "Deceased Destroyed Himself while in a state of Temporary Insanity."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 18 September 1860
EXETER - A few days since a woman named ELIZABETH KENT lost her child under the following circumstances. She had entrusted it to a person named Morgan who overlaid it. An Inquest was held, but the medical testimony showing that the child died of suffocation, a verdict was returned in accordance with the fact.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 2 October 1860
TIVERTON - An Inquest was held at the Guildhall on Wednesday evening last, before F. Mackenzie, Esq., Coroner, touching the death of HENRY BAKER, of Tiverton, some years ago a farmer, but at the time of his decease much reduced in circumstances. It appeared from the evidence of Mr James Monday of Manley Farm, Tiverton, who was the principal witness, that on Wednesday the 19th inst., deceased assisted him in putting two horses into a thrashing machine and almost immediately after the machine was set in motion, he saw deceased jammed tightly between one of the yokes and the pier of the wheel house. Witness topped the horses and, with the assistance of two men, endeavoured to pull deceased from his perilous position, but in this they failed. Witness then suggested that deceased's legs should be lifted from under him, and this caused him to slip to the ground. At deceased's request he was conveyed home in a cart and experienced every attention from Mr J. Beedell, Surgeon, but the injuries received were so severe that death terminated his sufferings on the following Tuesday. It is supposed that as deceased was passing the pier for some purpose or other the yoke caught him. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 9 October 1860
BRADNINCH - Sudden Death From Excessive Drinking. - An Inquest was held in the Town Hall, Bradninch, on Wednesday last, before R. R. Crosse, Esq., and a respectable Jury, respecting the death of JOHN INGERSENT, wheelwright, of this place, aged 19 years. The Jury having appointed Mr C. Drew their Foreman, the Coroner commenced the proceedings with the examination of Mrs Nicks, the wife of the landlord of the Bradninch Arms Inn, who deposed that the deceased and Thos. Rowland came into their house about half-past eleven o'clock on the preceding night, and called for a pint of beer. After this they asked for more beer, which she refused to give them, as it was getting late. They then asked for a half-pint of gin, which she gave them. The deceased and Rowland drank it without any water. They asked for two other half-pints of gin, which she also let them have. A man by the name of Blackmore drank a small portion of the last half-pint, INGERSENT and Rowland then left the house, it being nearly half-past twelve o'clock. Rowland paid for the three half-pints of gin, and she did not see them afterwards. - Henry Nicks, the son of the last witness, deposed that he was at his father's house when INGERSENT and Rowland came in. They all drank some beer together. He afterwards heard the deceased ask for a half-pint of gin, which was given him; he asked for more gin, but did not know how much he had; the deceased and Rowland left the house about half-past twelve o'clock; he left with his wife about ten or fifteen minutes after this, and on getting to his house (which is within a short distance of his father's) he saw the deceased laying in the road, with Rowland standing by his side. The deceased had his coat, waistcoat and hat off; he attempted to raise him, but found he could not stand, and appeared quite insensible; he then, with the assistance of Blackmore and his brother, who happened to be passing, carried the deceased home to his father's house; it was then nearly one o'clock; he called to his (deceased's) mother, who was in bed, to come down and let him in; as no one came down he left the deceased sitting on the doorstep. The deceased was insensible and groaned several times; it was then a quarter after one. Two other witnesses, named Thomas Cornett and Blackmore, were then examined. They were also at the Bradninch Arms Inn when the deceased and Rowland came in. They drank part of two pints of beer with them; the deceased afterwards called for gin; they did not know how much deceased had, and drank a small quantity with him. Both Rowland and deceased appeared to have been drinking when they first came in. They left together about half-past twelve o'clock and walked out without assistance. Afterwards saw the deceased laying in the road opposite Henry Nick's house, and assisted him home. - Thomas Rowland deposed that the deceased went into Nick's kitchen about half-past twelve o'clock; they drank two pints of beer together, and then called for half-a-pint of gin; he just tasted it, and then handed the cup (a pewter one) to deceased, who drank it off at one draught; he then called for another half-pint and a glass, to prevent the deceased from drinking more than his share; they had then the third half-pint; much of this was spilt on the floor, as the deceased could not hold the glass properly; he (Rowland) paid for all these half-pints of gin; they left Nicks' shortly before one o'clock and walked as far as Mr P. Warren's, when the deceased fell; he got up and then fell again; deceased then took off his coat, waistcoat and hat and said he would fight him; no blows passed between them; he did not give him any angry words; shortly afterwards Henry Nicks, Blackmore and Connett came by; they then took up deceased and carried him home. - Mr Spencer, Surgeon, then deposed that he was called to see the deceased about seven o'clock on Wednesday morning; he found him laying on a bed on the ground floor, quite dead; he appeared to have been dead three or four hours; had no doubt he died from congestion of the brain, caused by drinking raw spirits. - The Coroner then summed up the evidence, and the Jury retired to consider their verdict. After an absence of about ten minutes, they returned, when the Foreman read the following:- " We, the Jury, are of opinion that the deceased died from Congestion of the Brain, caused by Excessive Drinking, and we feel it our duty to express our regret that such laxity and drunkenness should be allowed in any house at such a late hour of the night, and we beg respectfully to call the attention of the borough magistrates to the late hours which several innkeepers in this town are in the habit of keeping their houses open." The Inquest commenced at half-past three and was not concluded until eight o'clock in the evening. - [We cannot help thinking that the conduct of the landlady in supplying the deceased with spirits after refusing him beer, was highly reprehensible, and the remarks of the Jury we readily endorse - ED.]

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 16 October 1860
NEWTON ABBOT - An Atrocious Child Murder. - On Sunday week, the inhabitants of the village of Stokeinteignhead, near this town, were thrown into a state of the utmost excitement, through the circulation of a report that a servant girl, named ELIZABETH HOOPER, aged about nineteen years, in the employ of Mr W. Bond, had committed a most atrocious child murder. On Inquiry, it appeared that in the forenoon the unnatural young mother, during the absence of her master and mistress at church, gave birth to a child, and immediately cut its head off and attempted to burn it in the grate. The family returned from church somewhat earlier than was expected and Mr Bond, on entering the house, became conscious of a very disagreeable odour; and on approaching the grate, he saw, with horror, the head of a newly-born child on the fire. He immediately raised an alarm, and the Police were soon on the spot, searching for the remainder of the infant, which they soon succeeded in discovering, wrapped up in a portion of the mother's clothing. The young woman was immediately taken into custody. she had been in Mr Bond's service for several months. On Monday an Inquest was commenced before W. A. Cockey, Esq., at Bovey's Church House Inn. The Surgeon stated that the prisoner was not in a fit state to be removed, and the Inquiry was adjourned for a few days.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 30 October 1860
CULLOMPTON - The poor young woman named DREW (but who was misnamed in our impression of last fortnight as Trood) who had been so severely burnt whilst in a fit, expired on Sunday last. Her body was greatly disfigured and at an Inquest held by A. W. Leigh, Esq., on Monday, the Jury returned a verdict of "Death by Burning." Deceased was insured in the Royal Liver Friendly Society.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 13 November 1860
EXETER ST SIDWELL - Suicide. - An Inquest was held on Monday afternoon, at Taylor's Acland Arms Inn, St. Sidwell's, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of JOHN HILL, a young man, twenty-six years of age. The deceased was the son of WILLIAM HILL, coachman at Miss Cudlip's, on Pennsylvania; and resided with him at 2 Poltimore-place. He was in the employ of Mr P. Collings, jun., Black Horse Inn; but during the last two months he had been prevented from working by a bad foot. On Sunday evening deceased drank tea with his parents and about seven o'clock he left the house, saying he should return shortly. He never returned. After leaving home he appears to have gone to the Horse and Groom Inn, Longbrook-street, where he drank about a pint of beer and remained until nearly eleven o'clock. He did not pay for the beer, but told the landlord, who knew him well, that he would pay for it in the morning. When he left he was quite sober. About half-past eight on Monday morning, a labourer, in the employ of Mr Smith, on going to work in a field behind St. Sidwell's Church, found the deceased hanging from the branch of a tree by a piece of packing cord. - Assistance was obtained and he was taken down, but was found to be quite cold and stiff, having evidently been dead for some hours. The poor fellow has been very depressed of late in consequence of having been unable to earn anything for his livelihood; and the Jury, believing this had affected his mind, returned a verdict that deceased Committed Suicide while in a state of Temporary Insanity.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 27 November 1860
BRADNINCH - Sad Affair. - On the night of the 23rd inst., about 12 o'clock, one of the rag boilers belonging to the Hele Paper Mills exploded and did serious damage. The top of it, which weighed about six cwt., was forced through the iron roof and fell through another roof, killing on the spot a young man named MONDAY, aged 16 years, son of MR W. MONDAY, boot and shoe maker. The walls, roofs and windows of some of the buildings were blown to atoms and fragments scattered in all directions. It is supposed that the amount of damage sustained will exceed £1000. A man named James also received a injury in the back from the falling of some part of the roof, and five or six others, who were partaking of their supper on the spot a few moments before, narrowly escaped. A Coroner's Inquest was held by R. R. Crosse, Esq., and a respectable Jury, on the following day, when the following evidence was elicited. - Mr James stated that he was working in the boiler room at the time of the accident, as he had done for nearly 8 years, when, about twelve o'clock at night, the boiler exploded, and a portion of it forced its way through the roof, falling again through the roof of the bleaching house, where deceased was working and killed him on the spot. - Mr Clark corroborated the above evidence. - Mr Paisley, engineer and mill-wright, deposed that he was in bed when the explosion took place; that there could not have been a greater pressure on the engine than 55 lbs. to the square inch, that being the utmost pressure allowed on the steam boiler, without lifting the safety valve, and the rag boiler could not have a greater pressure than its feeder. He examined this boiler, with the others, about ten o'clock the same night and could discover no defect, no steam escaping, nor anything to cause alarm and he believed the boiler capable of bearing 100 lbs. to the square inch. W. Dumer, stoker, stated that the pressure during the whole night did not exceed 45 lbs. of 50 lbs. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death," and recommended Mr Collins to have the other boilers proved before using them.

EXETER - Death By Burning. - An Inquest was held at the Blue Boar Inn, Magdalen Street, on Monday, before H. D. Barton, Esq., Deputy Coroner, and a Jury, of whom Mr Clark was the Foreman, on the body of WILLIAM DARBY, a child five years of age, who met his death under the following circumstances. The deceased was the son of WILLIAM DARBY, paper-hanger, of St Mary Arches-street, and on Friday week, about half-past six in the evening, his mother, who takes in washing, sent him with three other children to school. She went to the house of her daughter-in-law, in Summerland-street and remained there until nine o'clock. Before this time the children had returned from school, and the deceased was left alone in a room in which a fire had been newly lighted, the eldest girl, a cripple about 15, having left to get a bucket of water, the other children being absent. Mrs Knight, a neighbour, residing under the same roof, seeing a light in the room opposite and hearing a scream, rushed to the spot, where she saw the deceased enveloped in flames. She tore his clothes from his back and asked how it happened, when he said a cinder fell out, ignited a piece of paper and caught his frock on fire. He was immediately conveyed to the Hospital, where he lingered until the following day, and died from the injuries. It was ascertained, by a question from the Foreman and Coroner, that the bed was very near the fire, and that the room was very uncomfortably furnished. The husband had been ill and unable to work for six weeks having been under medical treatment, and receiving relief from the Parish; also that the wife was a hard-working woman, and absent from morning until night, washing. Mr Rendle, Surgeon to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, proved that the death of the child arose from the injuries deposed to and the Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

EXETER - An Inquest was held on Thursday, on the body of MR S. DENNIS, contractor for building the Topsham Railway Station. It appeared that on the 5th of November, some rockets, which he had in his pocket, accidentally went off and burnt him so severely that lock-jaw and ultimately death ensued.

EXETER - Fatal Accident. - An Inquest was held at the Valiant Soldier Inn, Magdalen-street, on Monday afternoon, before H. Barton, Esq., Deputy Coroner, on the body of GEORGE BIDGOOD, who met his death under the following circumstances. The deceased was a mason, 76 years of age and had been lodging with Mr Tremlett, yeoman, of Kenton Bridge, jobbing about for his living. On the 14th inst., he went to Powderham to do some work, and about nine o'clock on the evening of that day, Mr Tremlett heard a voice calling for help. He went out and found deceased lying against a hedge. On asking what was the matter, he said he had endeavoured to get over the stile leading by the back way into the premises, and in so doing had missed "his hands" and had fallen back on his head and shoulders. He was taken into the house when he complained of a pain in his head and neck, but refused to have a doctor sent for, observing that he should be better in the morning. On the following afternoon, at the request of the deceased, he was sent to the Hospital in a spring cart. Mr C. B. Rendle, House Surgeon at the Hospital, proved that the deceased was brought there on the day in question, suffering from severe injuries in the back, under which he lingered until the following Friday, when paralysis of the legs ensued, gradually extending to the rest of the body, and terminating in death on the following day. There being no external injuries apparent, Mr Rendle made a post-mortem examination, when he discovered that the sixth vertebrae of the neck had been fractured and that there was an effusion of blood on the membrane of the spinal cord, which injuries were the cause of death. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette),Tuesday 4 December 1860
EXETER - Death From Burning. - An Inquest was held at the Valiant Soldier Inn, on Tuesday, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., on the body of a little girl, named JANE BABBAGE, eight years of age. The deceased lived with a woman named Cairn, who had care of her and who resides in Coombe-street. On Monday morning Mrs Cairn lighted her fire. The child shortly afterwards came down in her nightdress and seated herself in front of the fire to put on her shoes and stockings. During the absence of Mrs Cairn, the child's nightdress caught fire, and she was so severely burnt that she died the same evening, at the Devon and Exeter Hospital, whither she was removed. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

EXETER - Alleged Death Of A Pupil From Flogging. - A little boy named JOHN BOURNE, aged nine and who attended the Devon and Exeter Central School, in Coombe-street, died on Friday morning week and at an Inquest subsequently held the following facts were adduced:- The unfortunate boy, who was an illegitimate son of MRS HEARD, residing in Preston-street, had attended the school for about twelve months and three months since complained to his mother that a pupil teacher in the school had severely beaten him, and requested her not to allow him to go there any more. The mother, knowing the boy to be rather dull, and thinking that it was merely an excuse to stay away from school, insisted on his continuing to attend, which he did up to the 2nd November on which day he went home and was so poorly that he could not eat his dinner. He then complained of a severe headache, and the mother, who still thought her son wanted to stay from school, charged him with it, to which he replied that it was not so, and then said that a pupil teacher, named Hawker, had struck him on the back part of his head with a "pointer stick." The boy continued ill for some days, when the mother procured him some medicine, but two days after he became delirious, when the parish doctor was called in, who attended him up to his death. Whilst the boy was ill in bed, Hawker, the teacher, called to see him and whilst with him said, "I did not strike you to hurt you, my boy;" to which the poor youth replied, "Yes, you did, sir, for you made me sick." Hawker then told the parents that he never used the stick, but he might have struck him once with the pointer. Mr Cumming, the Surgeon, stated that when he first saw the deceased he had some difficulty in getting him to speak and he appeared to be suffering from a disease in the brain, complaining that one of the teachers, named Hawker, had struck him on the head with a pointer. There was a swelling on the scalp, but he could not say whether it was caused by a blow, or whether it existed before. He could not externally see or feel the cause of death, but a post mortem examination would no doubt enable him to come to a conclusion. The Coroner remarked that this was an important Inquiry and if they were to fix the matter on a third party it was necessary they should obtain all the evidence that could possibly be got. The Inquest was then adjourned until Tuesday, on which day Mr J. Austin, the master was examined. He said the pointers were used in the school to pint out the places on the map and for lessons on the blackboard. He had never been obliged to complain of the pupil teachers beating the boys with the pointers. He had complained of Hawker once for striking a boy with his hand. The pupil teachers had no right to inflict corporal punishment. Mr Cumming, Surgeon, said he made a post mortem examination of the body of the deceased and it was his opinion the blow was the cause of death. The Coroner summed up and the Jury returned a verdict of Manslaughter against Hawker, who was committed for trial.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 11 December 1860
EXETER - Melancholy Suicide. - An Inquest was held at the Axminster Inn, Paris-street, on Monday evening week, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of an elderly man, named GEORGE POMEROY, sixty-six years of age, who had committed suicide that morning by hanging himself. The deceased was a fish-vendor and has for many years carried on business in the Higher Market. He was a widower, and resided with his youngest daughter, in Paris-street. He appears to have been in a dejected state for some weeks past; it is supposed from having a son dangerously ill at the Hospital, from pecuniary affairs and other family troubles. He spent Sunday evening with his daughter and daughter-in-law at his house and retired to bed about half-past eight o'clock: When the servant went to his bedroom on Monday morning to call him, she found him hanging to the bedpost by a small cord; but his feet were touching the ground. He was warm at the time, but on assistance being obtained and cut down, he was found to be quite dead. The Jury returned a verdict that deceased Committed Suicide while in a state of Temporary Insanity.

EXETER - Fatal Accident. - An Inquest was held on Thursday at the Valiant Soldier Inn, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of THOMAS FORD, who met his death under the following circumstances:- The deceased was a farm labourer, aged 47 years and worked for Mr Wippell, of Brenton Farm, in the parish of Exminster, and on the 21st of Nov. last was riding on the shafts of his master's waggon, which was drawn by two horses. The animals ran away, the deceased being thrown violently to the ground. He was removed to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, when it was discovered that he had sustained a compound fracture of the left leg and a severe injury of the head, from which he died on Wednesday last. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death," commenting on the dangerous practice of riding upon shafts.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 1 January 1861
LYMPSTONE - An Inquest was held on Wednesday at the Saddler's Arms Inn, Lympstone, before Spencer Cox, Esq., on the body of THOS. FINNIMORE, aged 36. It appears that deceased had for some time past been left in charge of Brente House (which was undergoing some repairs) the property of the Rev. Wm. Sykes, of Reading. On Sunday morning last, about 11 o'clock, two men went to the house with a letter for deceased. Not being able to make anyone hear, they went in and found the deceased on the stairs in a sitting posture, quite dead. A small quantity of blood had proceeded from his mouth, and dropped upon the stairs. Mr Atwell, Surgeon, went to see him and was of opinion that he died of apoplexy, and that the bleeding proceeded from biting his tongue, which, he said, was not uncommon in a fit of apoplexy. The Jury returned a verdict of "Died by the Visitation of God."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 22 January 1861
NEWTON POPPLEFORD - An Inquest was held on Monday last, before Spencer M. Cox, Esq., at the Cannon Inn, on the body of ELIZABETH BAKEHOUSE. - Elizabeth Bayley deposed that deceased was her mother and was 85 years of age; up to Thursday last she lived with her at Devizes and other places before, for 15 or 16 years. She left Devizes with deceased, Mary Figgins and Mary Ann Tooze, on Thursday last, where her husband had got a situation, as foreman to Mr Wood. They stayed at Bath on Tuesday night. Her mother had been very feeble and poorly all the time she was living with her, but worse since the cold weather set in. She gave her cake and wine several times on the way. Deceased seemed sleepy and languid, when they arrived at Exeter. She gave deceased a little wine there. She did not know deceased was worse until they arrived at Newton. She saw her mouth drop and water run out of it. After hearing Dr Brent's evidence, the Jury returned a verdict of "Died from Natural Causes."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 25 June 1861
TIVERTON - Death By Drowning. - An Inquest was held at the Lamb Inn, on Tuesday evening last, on the body of GEORGE PACKER, who had been recently apprenticed with Mr George Clarke, boot and shoe maker of Bampton-street, and who was drowned whilst bathing the previous day. Reports having been freely circulated that deceased committed suicide in consequence of having had some disagreement with his master, we may state that matters were settled on Monday morning by Mr Clarke freely forgiving the boy the wrong he had done. It appeared that deceased left his master's house about half-past one on Monday afternoon, and that he went to "Tomswell" pit for the purpose of bathing. When deceased reached the place he saw some boys bathing, and being rather shy he declined to go into the water whilst they were there and walked into an adjoining field. After the boys came out of the water, a person named John Foley, a travelling draper, went in and whilst there, deceased came up, to whom Foley made some observation, but deceased took no notice of it and again walked away. After Foley dressed he had some conversation with his brother-in-law, William Cornish Haddon, a carpenter, who was working in Tomswell field, about 160 yards from the pit, and during this time deceased undressed for bathing. Haddon observed deceased walk into the water and after being in some minutes he saw him splashing about and directed Foley's attention to him. The parties in question thought at first that he was merely playing, but finding that he kept under water longer than was usual after diving, they went to the spot, and made most praiseworthy efforts to save him, but failed in doing so. The drags were obtained and the body was taken out of the water about half-an-hour after deceased was seen to go into it. Deceased had his boots on when found, but his brother stated at the Inquest that he always bathed in his boos. Deceased could not swim. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidentally Drowned," and recommended that some steps should be taken to fill in the pit, which was particularly dangerous to parties who bathed and could not swim. The Foreman (Mr John Pratt) remarked that in some places it was possible to go from two to nine feet of water at a single step. - The Coroner said he was of opinion that something ought to be done to provide a suitable place for bathers. On most occasions when recommendations had been made by Juries they had been carried out by their public bodies with a readiness and willingness which redounded much to their credit, and he hoped that this recommendation would meet with similar success. - The Jury thought that a suitable bathing place could be made at a comparatively trifling cost. They also expressed their admiration of the efforts made by Foley and Haddon to rescue the deceased. - Mr William Warren, of the Queen's Head inn, requests us to state that he did not refuse to take the body into his house, as has been reported.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 2 July 1861
EXETER ST LEONARD - Deaths By Drowning. - An Inquest was held at the Port Royal Inn, St Leonard's, on Monday week, before R. R. Crosse, Esq., Coroner for the district, on the bodies of two youths, who were drowned near Trew's Weir Mills on the previous day. On Sunday afternoon GEORGE YOUNG and his brother WILLIAM, JOHN TARR, and three others, went to bathe at the place above-named. JOHN TARR, who is about fourteen years of age, crossed the river and when within a short distance of the opposite bank towards St. Thomas, he was seen to sink. GEORGE YOUNG, who is a year older, went to his assistance; when the too frequent scene was enacted - the drowning boy seized hold of YOUNG, and they both went down together. An alarm was given; and Mr Edwards, landlord of the Port Royal, accompanied by Mr Blackburn, went to the spot, and, after dragging the river, succeeded in recovering the bodies. Life was quite extinct. Some of the boys who were bathing were very young - some not more than ten or twelve years of age and unable to swim; and it was a fact regretted by the Coroner and the Jury that children of that age should be allowed to bathe in a part of the river which is so dangerous. A verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned. Both of the deceased were shoemaker's apprentices, YOUNG contributing in a great measure to the support of his mother and her other five children, who reside on Stepcote-hill, in this city. TARR'S father is a marine store dealer.

TIVERTON - Fatal Accident. - On Friday last, an accident of a very sad and fatal character happened to JESSE BELLA MITCHELL, aged 15, daughter of MR HENRY MITCHELL, hairdresser &c. of Angel Hill. About five o'clock in the afternoon deceased and an elder sister were engaged in taking down the sun-blind in front of their father's shop. Deceased mounted the steps which were about six feet high, for the purpose of unfastening the blind, and the wind blowing strong at the time, her father, who had just returned home, placed himself against the steps to keep them steady. Deceased unhooked one end of the blind, and was proceeding to unfasten the other, when a sudden gust of wind blew the unfastened portion into her face and caused her to leave her hold of the steps, when she fell backward to the ground, and her head came violently in contact with the kerb-stone. She was immediately carried into the house and Mr A. G. Lamotte, Surgeon, was sent for. Upon his arrival he did everything that medical skill could suggest to save the life of the unfortunate girl, but his efforts were unavailing, death taking place about a quarter of an hour after the accident. An Inquest was held on the body at the Guildhall on Saturday evening last, before F. Mackenzie, Esq., Coroner, and a very respectable Jury. It was elicited from MR MITCHELL that it was a duty of his daughters to put up and take down the blinds, although he admitted that the deceased was subject to giddiness, and that the pavement in front of his house was on the descent, and was consequently very dangerous to place steps upon. After the facts above stated had been given in evidence, the Jury retired to deliberate and when they returned into Court, the Foreman (Mr John Goodland) said they had determined upon returning a verdict of "Accidental Death," but thought that the father of deceased was deserving of great censure for permitting her to perform work which properly belonged to a man. For his own part he (Mr Goodland) hoped that the accident in question would act as a warning both to MR MITCHELL and to all inhuman fathers. - We cannot help endorsing the remarks of the Jury.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 16 July 1861
CULLOMPTON - Melancholy And Fatal Occurrence. - An Inquest was held at the London Inn, on Tuesday, before R. R. Crosse, Esq., on the body of JAMES DISNEY, of Daisyland Farm, in the parish of Broadhembury, aged forty-five. It appears that between three and four o'clock on the previous Monday afternoon the deceased was returning from haymaking between Cullompton and Willand with a waggon and two horses. The deceased and his nephew, JOHN DISNEY, aged about eighteen, were riding on the fore part of the waggon, which was partially laden with hay, and contained SARAH DISNEY, sister-in-law of deceased and Charles Northam, his servant. As soon as they were outside the field gate the shaft horse, from some unaccountable means, began to kick and both started off at a rapid pace. The unfortunate deceased sprang to the shaft horse for the purpose of stopping it, but was unsuccessful and clung in a perilous position to the harness for about thirty yards, when he fell and both wheels passed over his body, and the poor man was so seriously injured that he died about three hours afterwards. The nephew seeing the efforts of his uncle were unavailing and the latter's critical position, also jumped to the shaft horse on the other side, but in doing so he fell, and both wheels passed over his leg, which was broken and very much bruised. The unfortunate lad was immediately conveyed to the Hospital. At the Inquest on the deceased a verdict of "Accidental Death" was returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 30 July 1861
UFFCULME - Disastrous Flood And Loss Of Life And Property. - On Saturday, our town and parish were visited by one of the most calamitous floods ever known, and we regret to say that it was attended with fatal consequences to one poor fellow, and the loss of property to a great amount. The morning opened very fine, but towards noon the sky became overcast and we had severe storms at intervals during the remainder of the day, accompanied, in some instances, with a little thunder, but nothing to indicate a flood. About seven o'clock p.m. there was a rumour that the waters were rising rapidly, and a rush was made to the river Culme, and the sight that presented itself was truly heart-rending. The waters rose so rapidly that in less than half-an-hour the river was swollen to that degree that all the meadows adjacent were completely inundated. People were to be seen running to and fro securing their cattle, which was in danger of being drowned. The roads were impassable, being completely flooded and the water ran into the houses of the inhabitants of Bridge-street, as far as Mr Churly's, butcher. Mr G. Southey had eight bullocks carried away by the flood, and a lot of brave fellows, seeing their perilous position, waded through the water in the road, up to their arm-pits, and succeeded in rescuing them. Mr Parkhouse, of Firefords Farm, had a lot of bullocks swept down the stream and carried over the flood gates, but ultimately they were got out. All the bridges from the mill to Southey Barton were swept away. Pooks and loads of hay were seen going down the stream, and upwards of 100 acres in this parish, belonging to Messrs. New, Parkhouse, Marker, Studley, Doble, Paul, &c., is lost. We hear that the flood has done several hundred pounds damage to property belonging to W. A. Wood, Esq., at Leigh, the water having completely washed the earth out of one of his fields. That gentleman's house was also flooded. One poor fellow, a labouring man, named MILTON, who worked for Mr Venn, of Northcott Farm, was standing on the new bridge at Craddock, when the centre arch gave way and the poor fellow was carried away with the debris into the torrent and was drowned. His body was found on Sunday near Rats Ash, some distance from the bridge, and was taken to the Commercial Inn, where an Inquest was held yesterday (Monday). Deceased leaves a widow and two children.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 6 August 1861
BIDEFORD - On Monday, a lady named FRANCES ANN ROWLAND, who had been governess in the family of Lord Clinton for upwards of twenty years, was accidentally poisoned at Bideford. She was staying at the house of Mrs Wilcocks, and complained on the above day of diarrhoea. Mrs Wilcocks recommended a prescription which was made up of tincture of rhubarb and laudanum and which was sent to the shop of Mr Griffiths, chemist, to be dispensed. MISS ROWLAND partook of the medicine and died the same day. At the Inquest which has been adjourned Dr Jones stated that the deceased died from narcotic poison.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 13 August 1861
EXETER - Melancholy And Fatal Accident. - An Inquest was held at the Valiant Soldier on Thursday, before H. W. Hooper, Esq., Coroner, on the body of a child named HENRY HEARD, whose parents reside at Ide. It appears that the father was digging in his garden, rather late in the evening. The children, as he believed, were all in the house, but the deceased - a pet child - had strayed out into the garden to surprise his father. He put his head through an aperture in the railings near where the father was digging, and he not being aware of this, the implement struck the poor child in the back of the head and produced serious injuries. He was removed to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, where he soon got better, but a relapse took place and on Wednesday the poor child died. Verdict "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 10 September 1861
BARNSTAPLE - Death By Drowning. - JAMES JARVIS, a tailor, of Newport, aged thirty, was accidentally drowned on Monday evening whilst bathing in the river Taw, at a place called Black Barn. There were other persons bathing near at the time: They saw him go into the water and swim outwards, but soon after turning to swim ashore he suddenly sank: He had been drinking, and was described by a witness at the Inquest as being "elevated, but capable of taking care of himself." The body was recovered some three hours afterwards by means of a fishing net. Mr Incledon Bencraft held an Inquest upon the body on Tuesday, when a verdict in accordance with the foregoing facts was returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 24 September 1861
TIVERTON - Melancholy And Fatal Accident. - An Inquest was held at the Guildhall on Friday evening last, before F. Mackenzie, Esq., Coroner, and a very respectable Jury, on the body of MR HUGH SNOW GIBBONS, yeoman, of Chapel Hayes Farm, in the parish of Bradninch, who met with his death the previous evening by being thrown from his horse. The circumstances attending this sad affair will be found detailed in the following evidence:- Mr John Smith, farmer, of Bickleigh, said - I was in company with the deceased, who was an acquaintance of mine, on Thursday last. I met with him at a sale at Mr Norrish's, Beer Down Farm, Calverleigh. Deceased, Mr Wonson, Mr Duckham and myself rode towards Tiverton in company about six o'clock in the evening. I was first, and deceased and the others followed close in the rear. In going down Calverleigh Hill my horse first trotted and then broke into a gallop, and the horse deceased was riding did the same. After passing Mr Trebble's garden wall, where there is a very sharp turn, I heard a horse dash against the hedge. I pulled up my horse as soon as I could, and returned to the spot, where I found deceased on the ground supported by Mr Duckham and Mr Wonson. Finding that deceased was injured, I immediately rode to Tiverton for a surgeon. When I returned I found that deceased had been taken into Mr Trebble's house. The horse deceased was riding was a very plucky one, but not particularly restive. Deceased was quite sober. - In reply to a question from the Foreman (Mr James Goodland), witness said he could not tell at what pace he was riding. A Juror asked witness if they were racing, and he replied in the negative. - Mr William Wonson, yeoman, of Bradninch, said - I have known the deceased for many years. On Thursday, about six o'clock in the evening, I was riding towards Tiverton with deceased and two others. Deceased rode in my sight until he turned the corner near Palmer's Barton. When I turned the corner, which was a few seconds after deceased, I saw him on the ground, supported by Mr Duckham. I assisted in removing him to Mr Trebble's, where he remained for about half-an-hour. He was subsequently removed to Mr Wood's, the White Ball Inn, Tiverton. I am of opinion that in turning the corner near Mr Trebble's, which is a very dangerous one, deceased's horse caught its off foot in the bank, and rolled over on its right side. - The Foreman asked witness if he thought it was prudent to remove deceased from Palmer's Barton to Tiverton after the injuries he had received. Witness replied that he thought it was much better to remove him to Tiverton, where he would be near a medical gentleman. In reply to a question from a Juror, witness said that he first suggested deceased should be removed to Tiverton, although Mr Trebble had no objection to his staying at his house. - Mr John Duckham, yeoman, of Bradninch, said - I was riding with deceased towards Tiverton on Thursday night. I lost sight of him when he turned the corner at the bottom of Calverleigh Hill. When I turned the corner I found him lying in the middle of the road on his back. He appeared seriously hurt. The accident occurred about six o'clock, and he died about nine the same evening. In reply to a question from the Foreman, witness stated that he and Mr Wonson were about fifty paces behind deceased when the accident happened. The corner, he added, was a very dangerous one. - Mr John Beedell, Surgeon, said - I was called upon between half past six and seven o'clock to attend deceased. I went immediately, and found him at Mr Trebble's house, Palmer's Barton. He was downstairs and seated, and his head was on a table. I examined him as to external injuries, more especially his head. He was quite insensible and restless. He vomited some blood before I arrived, and also in my presence, after which he became quieter. Deceased was not in a position to apply a remedy. I permitted him to be removed to Tiverton, thinking he would be more readily treated there. I preceded him to Tiverton, in order to make preparations for his reception. I afterwards remained with him until his death, which was the result of internal injuries. Under no circumstances do I believe that life could have been prolonged. - The Coroner: I saw deceased immediately after death, and I am of the same opinion. - The Foreman to witness: Do you think it was a judicious treatment to remove a man who was half dead a distance of two miles in a cart, and then have him carried to a top room at the White Ball Inn? - Witness: He was more than half dead. - The Foreman: Which fact made the removal of him more reprehensible. - In reply to a Juror, witness stated that when he first saw the deceased he was under the impression that he was suffering from concussion of the brain, and in such cases it was a frequent occurrence to remove parties two or three miles. Several Jurors were of opinion that deceased ought to have been put to bed at Mr Trebble's, and there attended to. - This being all the evidence, the Jury retired for a few minutes, and when they returned into court, the Foreman said - We find that deceased came to his death by Accident; that we think it very unwise he should have been removed to Tiverton; and we hope that the proper authorities will be asked to make the road less dangerous where the accident occurred. - The Coroner said that with regard to the recommendation contained in the verdict, he would represent the matter to the turnpike trustees, and he hoped that the road would be improved. The trustees had effected many improvements by erecting proper defences against rivers and repairing bridges, and he trusted that they would do something to render less dangerous the spot where the unfortunate accident occurred. - Deceased, who was of very temperate habits, and much respected by those who knew him, has left a wife and six children, the latter being under 11 years of age.

EXETER - Fatal Railway Accident. - On Monday an Inquest was held at the Royal Oak Inn, Okehampton-street, before R. R. Crosse, Esq., the Coroner for the district, on the body of a man, named WILLIAM GREENSLADE, who was killed on the South Devon line, on the previous Saturday afternoon. The deceased was a dairyman, residing in St George's-lane, in this City, and was about fifty years of age. He rented some fields near the South Devon line. On Saturday afternoon the deceased left his home to go to his fields, and was seen by Mr Charles Tucket, the landlord of the Royal Oak, about five o'clock in Okehampton-street. He bought some "pigs'-wash" of him, and the deceased promised him some more on the following Monday. He had known him for seven years, and he was a very sober man and never in a desponding state. The up-express train was due at the St. David's Station at 5.20 that afternoon. Mr A. Tucker, the landlord of the Ship Inn, St Martin-street, Exeter, who was a passenger in it, appears to be the next person who saw MR GREENSLADE alive. Mr Tucker travelled in the guard's van, and as the train was going very slowly between the St. Thomas and St David's Stations, he looked out of the train and saw a man standing on the down line. The stop-signal belonging to the St David's Station was on and the train could not go into the yard. The deceased was near the centre rails when Mr Tucker saw him and he walked up the line a few feet: When the train was about twenty feet in rear the poor man attempted to cross in front of the engine. He failed in doing this and was knocked down and killed on the spot. The train stopped within 200 yards and the guard and driver went back. The deceased was lying in the middle of the up line. He breathed a few times after the guard came to him; but almost immediately expired. No wheels had passed over any portion of his body, but there were wounds on the temple and back of the head. The engine-driver, John Smith, gave evidence at the Inquest and corroborated Mr Tucker's statement. When he saw the man he applied the brakes; the whistles were sounded and the engine reversed. It is supposed that the unfortunate deceased got on the line to see some cattle in another of his fields, and that the sudden appearance of the train and hearing the alarm-whistle so confused him that he lost his presence of mind, and so met his death, for had he remained on that part where he was first seen, no accident would have happened. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death." The deceased leaves a widow and son to mourn his loss.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 15 October 1861
SAMPFORD PEVERELL - Fatal Skirmish Between Three Brothers. - An Inquest was held on the body of WILLIAM HILL, aged 22, on Friday, the 4th inst., at the New Inn, Sampford Peverell, who, it was alleged, had did from an injury received during a skirmish with his brother, JAMES HILL, on the 22nd June last. The Inquest was adjourned until Wednesday last, for the purpose of making a post mortem examination, on which day the following evidence was taken:- Richard Poole said: I was at the Globe Inn, Sampford Peverell, on a Saturday at the latter part of June; there were many persons present, and amongst them JAMES and HENRY HILL and the deceased, WILLIAM HILL; there was a dispute with the brothers about a jacket which the deceased had on. Previous to this the deceased showed a sovereign to his brother and HENRY or JAMES HILL said if he had paid for the jacket he would not have had the money. Deceased and his brother JAMES rose to fight and both took off their clothes; they closed together without striking a blow; both fell down side by side; I went forward to pick up deceased; his neck was across the edge of the fender. When I got him up he said "Oh, Dick, my neck is hurt." I then said to JAMES, "BILL'S neck is hurt." When the disturbance was over Mrs Bray, the landlord's wife, came in and took away the deceased. I have seen and worked with the deceased since. the disturbance lasted about a minute. - Mary Darch, said:- WILLIAM HILL, the deceased, had been lodging with me since November last; I recollect the deceased coming home on a Saturday in June last; he came in at 11.30 p.m., and said he had his neck hurt; he went to bed, but could not lay down during that night; I stayed up with him because he had such a pain in his neck; he did not go to work for ten days after; all that time he had a bad neck, which continued up to the time of his death, which took place on the 2nd October. After the first ten days he went to work, but almost every night I have put a poultice or something to his neck. About a month since, I went with my daughter, and my son, and the deceased in a cart to Ottery St. Mary; during the journey the board on which I and the deceased were sitting slipped down on one side, but neither of us fell off the seat and I am quite certain that the deceased did not strike his neck at the time, but he complained very much for a minute or two of the shock. On the Tuesday following, and up to the Saturday, deceased went to his work; on Sunday morning, September the 22nd, he had a blister put to his neck. On Thursday, September 26th he went away to the Station to go to Exeter Hospital, but he returned, stating he was too late for the train. He seemed very ill; I went to Mr Saunders, Surgeon, but he did not attend, so I went for Mr Bryden, another Surgeon, who came to see the deceased immediately. On Tuesday night, - the night before his death - and when he was conscious of being in a dying state, deceased said to his brother JAMES, in my hearing, "Kiss me, JAMES, I have forgiven you and I hope the Lord will forgive you." Mr Bryden attended him from Friday 27th September, till Monday, the 30th September, the day previous to his death. I was present when he died; I believe he died from the effects of the injury to his neck. - Solomon Marks, said: I live at Venn Farm, Halberton; I am a bailiff to Mrs Anstey; I heard the evidence of Richard Poole, and I confirm it, subject to the fact that deceased was under when they fell on the grate. - Mrs Bray, landlady, of the Globe Inn, Sampford, said: I recollect the disturbance that took place in my house on the 22nd June last; I was not present when it was on; I went into the room, and brought the deceased out. I asked him what was the matter, and he said, my brother JIM has knocked me down and hurt my neck; I afterwards applied brandy to his neck. - Mr Richard Bryden, Surgeon, of Uffculme, said: I attended the deceased for the first time on Friday the 27th September; he appeared very ill, and supported his head with his hands, and from symptoms he described I thought he was suffering from some affection of the spinal cord connected with the neck; he told me he had received an injury in his neck and that subsequently coming from Ottery he had received a shock which had aggravated the injury. - I prescribed for him, and attended him up to the time of his death, seeing him the Monday previous. By order of the Coroner, I have made a post mortem examination of the body, with a view to ascertain the immediate cause of death; I was assisted by Mr Saunders, Surgeon. On examining the neck I found the muscle of the part in a disorganised state; on opening the bones of the spine I found the spinal cord in a diseased state, the result of a flow inflammatory process; this may have arisen from the injury I have heard described by the preceding witnesses. Such a blow would have produced such an effect, and I believe the injury in the neck was the cause of death. - This being the whole of the evidence, the Coroner summed up, and the Jury returned a verdict of "Manslaughter without Malice" against JAMES HILL.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 19 November 1861
BAMPTON - Serious Accident. - On Saturday afternoon the 2nd instant, JAMES BURROWS, labourer to Captain Ledger, of Bury House, Clayhanger, was driving waggon laden with stones on the Wiveliscombe Turnpike Road, when, by some unknown means, he got entangled in one of the wheels, which occasioned instant death. The deceased leaves a wife and seven children. An Inquest was held on the body by R. R. Crosse, Esq., Coroner, at the Barleycorn Inn, Shillingford, on Wednesday the 6th inst., and further adjourned till Monday the 11th inst., for the purpose of making further inquiries, when a verdict of "Found Dead" was returned.

UFFCULME - On Wednesday last, an Inquest was held at the Commercial Inn, before Mr Cox, Coroner for this district, on the body of MR HENRY RADFORD, sen., chair-maker, of Appledore, Uffculme, aged 78. From the evidence, it appeared that on the 28th of September last he went to Honiton with a pony and cart, and on his returning, by some means the wheel of the cart struck against the kerb stone, which overturned it, and he was injured. He reached home, however, and took to his bed and after the lapse of four days sent for Mr Nott, Surgeon, who discovered that two of his ribs were broken, and had penetrated the lung. He lingered until Saturday week, when death terminated his sufferings. A verdict in accordance with the above facts was returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 26 November 1861
SALCOMBE REGIS - Shocking Death Of A Young Lady. - An Inquest was held a few days ago at Salcombe Regis (Devonshire), on the body of MISS EMILY MARY STEPHENSON, daughter of MR STEPHENSON, of the Cape of Good Hope, before Mr Spencer Cox, the Coroner for the district, when some distressing facts were elicited. It appears that the deceased young lady was staying with her grandmamma, an old lady residing at Myrtle-cottage, Salcombe Regis. There had been a wedding there and MISS STEPHENSON and other young ladies retired to their rooms to dress for dinner. While stooping down to open a box her sleeve caught fire from a candle and being attired in white muslin she was immediately enveloped in flames. She screamed for help and some gentleman in the house ran to her assistance, and having covered her with clothes they succeeded in extinguishing the flames. The poor young lady, however, was so dreadfully burnt that she died soon afterwards. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 10 December 1861
TIVERTON - Melancholy Suicide. - It is our painful duty this week to record a most distressing case of suicide, which occurred during the night of Saturday last - the unfortunate man being MR THOMAS BEEDELL, who, fifteen months ago, retired from a baking business he had carried on for a great number of years in West Exe. For the last six months deceased had been lodging with his son WILLIAM, a butcher, carrying on business in West Exe, and it appeared that during that time he frequently suffered from lowness of spirits, and the last fortnight he was particularly depressed, caused, it is supposed, by some embarrassment in business matters and from another circumstance. On Saturday night last, deceased paid a temporary visit to his son, MICHAEL, who carries on the business he retired from. WILLIAM was also there, and before leaving, which was about a quarter before ten, he gave the key of his house to his father to let himself in. WILLIAM returned to his brother's house about half-past ten, and finding that his father had left he was about to proceed home, when his brother advised him to sleep there the night, so that his father might not be disturbed. Shortly before eleven the following morning WILLIAM proceeded to his house, but finding the doors closed and the window blinds down, he became alarmed. He effected an entrance to the house by opening one of the windows, and upon reaching the door of the bedroom occupied by his father, a horrible sight presented itself - deceased was seen lying on the bed, weltering in his blood. Assistance was immediately obtained, and Mr Beedell, Surgeon, was sent for. Upon the arrival of that gentleman he discovered that deceased had been dead some hours; that he had inflicted, with a razor which lay on a chair by his bedside, upon which also his right hand rested, three frightful wounds in his throat, one on either side, and one in the centre, the latter cutting right through the windpipe and causing death. There was also blood on the soles of his stockings, which led to the belief that he walked about after inflicting the wounds with the razor. - From other appearances it is believed that deceased first attempted to deprive himself of life by hanging. An Inquest was held upon the body at the Guildhall yesterday afternoon, before F. Mackenzie, Esq., Coroner and after the above facts had been given in evidence, the Jury retired and remained in consultation some time. A verdict of "Temporary Insanity" was returned.

Tiverton Gazette (Mid Devon Gazette), Tuesday 31 December 1861
EXETER - Death Through The Bursting Of A Boiler. - An Inquest was held before H. W. Hooper,. Esq., Coroner, at the Topsham Inn, on Monday, on the body of MARY MILLS, an inmate of the Devon and Exeter Hospital. Deceased was a domestic servant, aged 19, and lived with Mr W. R. Mallett, of Exwick. It appeared that, on the 19th of November last, deceased was preparing breakfast, when the boiler of the stove in the kitchen suddenly exploded, and deceased was very much scalded about the face and arms. She was at once taken to the Devon and Exeter Hospital, where she has since been. It appears that the pipes conveying water into the boiler had been frozen, and, consequently, the supply of water was cut off, which caused the explosion. Mr Huxley considered the cause of death was exhaustion, produced by the tetanus and burn combined. Verdict, "Accidental Death." It is very remarkable that deceased's father was killed by a waggon, and her two brothers died by accidents.