"CREDITON is an ancient market town, picturesquely seated between two hills, on the western bank of the river Creedy, near its confluence with the small river Yew, eight miles N.W. of Exeter. . . . CREDITON PARISH comprises no less than 12,039 acres of fertile land, and had 5947 inhabitants in 1841. It is in eight divisions or tythings, of which the following are the names, with their population in 1841, viz., Crediton Borough, 2345; Canon Fee, 1411; Town, 663; Uford, 286; Uton, 384; Knowle, 392; Rudge, 265; and Woodland, 301. These tythings comprise many scattered farm houses, &c., and several handsome mansions, and extend more than two miles north, west, and south of the town. . . . The town is about a mile in length, and is in two parts, called East and West Town. The latter was formerly much more extensive than at present; upwards of 450 houses being destroyed by a great fire, in 1743. A second fire, in May, 1769, consumed many of the houses that had been built on the sites of the old ones, together with the Market house and Shambles. . . . The Church (Holy Cross,) is a spacious and handsome cruciform structure, erected in the 15th century, near the site of the ancient cathedral. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Kirton. A parish in Crediton Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter. Includes Venny Tedburn, and has modern chapels of ease at Posbury and Knowle. Peskett: Coplestone is at the meeting point of the parishes of Colebrooke, Crediton and Down St. Mary.