[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"CRUWYS-MORCHARD, a parish in the hundred of Witheridge, in the county of Devon, 8½ miles N. of Crediton, and 5 W. of Tiverton station on the Great Western railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £455, in the patronage of the Rev. G. S. Cruwys, who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, is an ancient stone structure in the decorated style, and contains a beautiful oak screen, also monuments to the Avery and Cruwy families, and stained glass windows. It was struck by lightning in 1689, but has been successfully repaired. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The charities amount to £7 per annum. There is a National school. Way Village, Pennymoor, Cotton, and Windmill are places here."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003