A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
CRUWYS-MORCHARD, a parish in the hundred of WITHERIDGE, county of DEVON, 5¼ miles (W.) from Tiverton, containing 652 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £21. 11. 8., and in the patronage of Beauvis Wood, Esq. and another. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, was struck by lightning in 1689, which rent the steeple and melted the bells.