Lysons' Magna Britannia
Lysons' Magna Britannia was published in six volumes. Volume 6 was devoted to Devon and was published in two parts, the second part of which contains descriptions of all the parishes in Devon. The full title of the publication is:
Lysons, Daniel, M.A., F.R.S., and Lysons, Samuel, F.R.S. Magna Britannia; being a concise topographical account of the several counties of Great Britain. [With copious illustrations]. London: T Cadell and W Davies, 1806-1822.
CRUWYS MORCHARD, in the hundred of Witheridge and in the deanery of South Molton, lies about seven miles from Tiverton, and about nine from Crediton. The villages of Cotton and Way are in this parish.
The manor had long been in the ancient family of Cruwys, at least as early as the reign of King John, soon after which it acquired the name of Cruwys Morchard. It is now the property and residence of Mrs Sharland, one of the co-heiresses of Dr. Henry Shortrudge Cruwys, the last of the family, who died in 1804. The lord of this manor had formerly the power of inflicting capital punishment.
The parish-church, which had been built in 1529, was much injured by lightning in 1689; it was repaired, and the upper part of the tower rebuilt in 1702. There is a memorial in the church for Robert Averay, Esq., of Hookers, in this parish, who died in 1745. Mrs. Sharland and Mrs. Melhuish, daughters of Dr. Cruwys, are patrons of the rectory, with alternate right of presentation. Robert Gay, in 1725, gave a rent-charge of 1l. 15s. 4d. per annum to this parish, one half of which was for the purpose of teaching poor children.