Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Cullompton 1878-79

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

CULLOMPTON

From William White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Devon, 1878-79

Transcribed by Caroline <tilburycm <AT> netscape.net>

"... The chancel was rebuilt during the time (1845) when the Bristol and Exeter Railway was being made. It was undertaken and carried out by W. Froude, Esq. C.E., who was at that time residing in Cullompton. The cost was about £700, of which Mr. Froude personally contributed £400. ... In 1875 very considerable improvements were made in the chancel, a very beautiful reredos, designed by T. Hayward, Esq., was erected by subscription, at a cost of about £100 and illuminated in December 1879, at the expense of the late W. C. Grant, Esq., as a thankoffering for the safe return of his eldest son from an Arctic cruise in the 'Pandora'. The east window was filled with rich stained glass, executed by Mr. F. Drake, of Exeter, and is the gift of Mr. Henry Hill, of London, a native of this town, and now the head of the firm of Hill Brothers, tailors, Bond Street. The window, consisting of ten lights, represents five Old and five New Testament subjects; and cost about 200 guineas. Mr. Hill also filled the east window in Lane's aisle with stained glass, illustrative of events in the life of St. Paul. Two stained glass windows have also been placed in the chancel, one in memory of two sons of the vicar, and the other in remembrance of the parents and brother of Mrs. Turner. The old organ, which stood in the tower, has been taken down, and a new and powerfult instrument erected in the west gallery. It was built by Mr. Speechly, of London, who used such pipes of the old organ as were good. A handsome communion cloth, executed by Messrs. Cox, of London, of rich silk velvet, has been presentd by T. Turner, Esq. ... The vicarage ... a yearly rent-charge of £418 ... The Rev. Lewis F. Potter, M.A., is incumbent, and the Rev. A. E. Hill, B.A. is curate; Messrs. Sellwood are the patrons. The Baptists, Wesleyans, Plymouth Brethren, and Unitarians have chapels here. The new NATIONAL SCHOOL was erected in 1873, at an expense of £2200, raised by subscriptions, aided by a grant of £496 from the Committee of Council on Education, and has accommodation for 500 children. The Infant School is a fine room, and provides ample space for public meetings and concerts. Here is a branch of the EXETER SAVING'S BANK, for which T. Turner, Esq., is receiver ..."
"POST, MONEY ORDER, TELEGRAPH, and GOVERNMENT ANNUITY and INSURANCE OFFICE and SAVINGS BANK at Mr. Samuel Mitchell's, jun. Letters are delivered at 7 a.m., 8.50 a.m., and 5.50 p.m., and despatched at 7.15 a.m., 8.50 a.m. 12 noon, 1.5 p.m., 4.5 p.m., and 9.10 p.m. On Sunday there is only one delivery at 7 a.m. RAILWAY - (Bristol and Exeter Railway); Frederick H. Ward, station master."