At some time before the Norman Conquest, central Dartmoor became a royal hunting ground. It was known as the Forest of Dartmoor. In medieval times the word 'forest' was associated with a designated area of land in which the king had the right to hunt deer. The Forest was owned from 1239 by the Earls, later Dukes, of Cornwall and was traditionally used by farmers (paying a rent) to graze their animals in the summer. The records in this paper commence at 1224 and continue to the late 17th century. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the University of Michigan Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.