"DEAN-PRIOR parish, from 3 to 5 miles S.S.W. of Ashburton, has 552 souls, and about 4000 acres of land, including nearly 1400 acres of open common, on the eastern side of Dartmoor Forest. Its villages are Dean Town and Dean Church Town, on the Exeter and Plymouth road, where there are several woolcombers, and where the gentlemen and hounds of the celebrated Dean Hunt usually assemble. The manor of Dean Prior was held by the Prior of Plympton, and now belongs, with that of Skerraton, to Sir J.B.Y. Buller, but Sir W.R. Carew, and a few smaller owners, have estates here. Dean Court, a large Tudor mansion, formerly a seat of the Giles and Yarde families, is occupied by a farmer. The Church (St. George,) has lately been rebuilt, except the tower, at the cost of about £1500, by Sir J.B.Y. Buller, who is impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £21, and in 1831 at £309. The Rev. R.C. Kitson, who is the incumbent, has a good residence, and 23A. 1R. 17P. of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Stanborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of both the South Hams and the Dartmoor area.