"DENBURY, a scattered village, pleasantly situated, in a valley 3 miles S.S.W. of Newton Abbot, has in its parish 470 souls, and 1068 acres of land. . . . General Taylor owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, which belonged to the Archbishop of York in the Confessor's reign, and to Tavistock Abbey at Domesday survey. After the Reformation, it was held by the Russells, who sold it to the Reynells, one of whose co-heiresses carried it in marriage to Captain Taylor, in the reign of Queen Anne. The Rev. R.H. Froude, Mr. J. Badcock, and a few smaller owners, have estates here; and Denbury House, a large Elizabethan mansion, is the seat of Miss Froude. The Church (St. Mary,) has a tower and five bells, and has been restored and beautified during the last four years, at the expense of Miss Froude and other subscribers. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12. 7s. 6d., and in 1831 at £201, is in the patronage of the Rev. John Richard Bogue, B.A., and incumbency of the Ven. Robert H. Froude, M.A., who is also rector of Dartington, and Archdeacon of Totnes. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.