DEVON-GEN - the Devon Genealogy Google Group
Draft - 5 March 2020
DEVON-GEN is a successor to the now-discontinued Devon Rootsweb mailing list. The Group is, again, co-sponsored by the Devon Family History Society and GENUKI/Devon. The Group was set up by Terry Leaman - who continues as Moderator, assisted by Brian Randell.
DEVON-GEN can be found at <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/devongenealogy>. Basic facts about the Group are given here. (General advice about Google Groups can be found here.)
Anyone with an interest in Devon genealogy is welcome to become a Member of the Group, and so able to read messages sent to it, and to post to it. To apply for Membership, send an email to Terry Leaman <tjleaman[at]gmail[dot]com>, indicating whether you wish to receive posts as individual email messages, or combined together into a Digest.
To unsubscribe from the group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to <devongenealogy+unsubscribe[at]googlegroups[dot]com>.
The Archives of the now discontinued Rootsweb Mailing lists are here.
Past emailed messages to the DEVON-GEN web page are retained in the page, which therefore serves as a message archive, as well as a current discussion forum.
The basic rules for the Group are as for the predecessor Rootsweb mailing list, namely:
- Messages should relate to Devon genealogy and history.
- When you post a query, provide a brief indication of what is already known to you, and what sources you have already searched (including those at the Devon Family History Society and in GENUKI).
- Make sure that you have prior explicit permission from the copyright owner before posting any text or photographs that are subject to copyright.
- Humour is acceptable, but rudeness is not.
- Commercial postings, e.g. advertising genealogical services, are not acceptable.
- General queries, e.g. about problems with genealogy software, are not acceptable - these should be addressed to a more suitable discussion forum.
- Group members who persistently flout these latter rules will be unsubscribed.
Note that the Devon Family History Society operates two other discussion forums: the Devon FHS WWWBoard, and a Public Facebook Group, while GENUKI has a Facebook page. (This latter is used mainly for occasional announcements.)