[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"DITTISHAM, a parish in the hundred of Coleridge, in the county of Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Dartmouth, its post town. It is situated on the river Dart, which is here navigable, and contains the hamlet of Capton. The greater part of the land is arable, but there are extensive apple orchards. Building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £444, in the patronage of the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. In the interior is a stone pulpit of elegant workmanship. The Independents have a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes. Sir H. P. Seale is lord of the manor."
"CAPTON, a hamlet in the parish of Dittisham, hundred of Coleridge, in the county of Devon, 3 miles to the N. of Dartmouth. It is seated in a beautiful country near the river Dart."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003