Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
DITTISHAM. St. George. The Perpendicular church consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and embattled west tower, containing six bells, all cast by Thomas Mears in 1802. There is a rood screen of early character. The groining is gone and the cornice is modern. The spandrels are ornamented with moulded ribs. The staircase to the rood loft remains.
There is a very good pulpit of stone, chalice shaped, and well carved, beneath canopies stand statuettes, and between these statuettes there is some fine carvings [plate 83].
The registers date: baptisms, 1651; marriages, 1654; burials, 1650.