Memorial Brass Formerly in Dittisham Church
Devon & Cornwall Notes & Queries vol. 11, (1920-21), pp. 214-218.
Hugh R. Watkin
Prepared by Michael Steer
There has been a chapel in Dittisham since at least 1050 AD. In 1328 the Bishop of Exeter demanded an enquiry into how it had been neglected and allowed to fall into ruin. Sir Richard de Gormersale, the Rector, was charged with rebuilding and enhancing the church. It was reopened and dedicated to St. George by Bishop Grandisson on October 4 1333. This Note relates to the remains of a missing brass in the church and attempts to compare what remains with the brass of John Corp in the neighbouring church at Stoke Fleming. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. The copy of this rare book is held in the collection of Albert William Bryant Messenger, and is available from the Internet Archive.
|Ault, Rev F E||214|
|Heanton, John de||216|
|Inkepenne, Richard de||217|
|Inkepenne, Roger de||216-7|
|Rogers, Mr W H Hamilton||215-6|
|Treverbyn, Dame Margery de||216|