[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"DOLTON, a parish in the hundred of North Tawton, in the county of Devon, 7 miles S.E. of Bideford, and 7 N.E. of Hatherleigh. Torrington is its post town. It is intersected by the new road from Exeter to Bideford, and is much frequented by different species of birds, among which are the heron, bittern, and quail. The land is chiefly arable, and there are 74 acres, of orchard. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £405, in the patronage of the Rev. P. T. Johnson. The church is dedicated to St. Edmund. There is a National school. Fairs were formerly held in March and October, but are at present discontinued."
"STAFFORD BARTON, a hamlet in the parish of Dolton, county Devon, 5 miles N.E. of Hatherleigh."
"STAFFORD BARTON, a village in the parish of Dolton, hundred of North Tawton with Winkleigh, in the county of Devon, 7 miles from Black Torrington."