William Tucker Arundel Radford, M.A. [Obituary]
Trans. Devon Assoc., 1897, Vol. XXIX, p.44.
Rev. W. Harpley, M.A.
Prepared by Michael Steer
The obituary was read at the Association’s July 1897 Kingsbridge meeting. William Tucker Arundel Radford, was born in Chulmleigh in 1818. He attended Mount Radford School in Exeter. He obtained a degree in mathematics at Exeter College Oxford before entering the church and being appointed Rector of Down St Mary in 1843, a position he was to hold for the next 53 years. A great deal of information about the Church restoration as well as Rev Radford and his family is provided Peter Selley.The article, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
Rev. William Tucker Arundel Radford, M.A., was for the long period of 55 years rector of Down St. Mary, near Crediton. During his incumbency the ancient church, dedicated to St. Mary, underwent thorough restoration at a cost of some thousands of pounds, he being by far the largest contributor, not only in a monetary point of view, but also the gift of valuable building stone, procured from his land which was largely used in the restoring of the church. Commodious school premises were provided in the parish mainly, through his instrumentality and support. Mr. Radford took great interest in the work of church restoration in the county generally, and contributed liberally thereto.
He became a member of the Association in 1876. He died, after a painful illness, on Saturday, July 18th, 1896.