[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"DREWSTEIGNTON, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, in the county of Devon, 9 miles S.E. of Okehampton, and 5 N.W. of Moreton Hampstead, its post town. It is situated near the river Teign, in the midst of fine rocky scenery, and contains the hamlet of Teignholt and the village of Crockernwell. It is believed to have been a seat of the Druids. It is written Taintone in Domesday Survey, at which time it belonged to Baldwin, the sheriff, from whom it came to the De Teigns, D'Abernons, and Carews. Limestone quarries are worked here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £776, in the patronage of Messrs. Ponsford."
"CROCKERNWELL, a hamlet in the parishes of Drewsteignton and Cheriton Bishop, in the county of Devon, 10 miles W. of Exeter. It is situated near the river Teign, in the midst of fine rocky scenery."
"TEIGNHOLT, a hamlet in the parish of Drewsteignton, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Moreton Hampstead."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003