A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
TEIGNTON-DREWS, a parish in the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Moreton-Hampstead, containing 1188 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £40. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Ponsford family. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an interesting old structure, with a beautiful window of stained glass at the east end; it has lately received an addition of seventy free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £40 towards defraying the expense. An almshouse was founded by Richard Eggecomb, in 1542. The name of this place is supposed to signify "the Druids Town on the Teign," which river here pursues its rapid course through scenery of the wildest description, and is crossed by Fingal's bridge, in a romantic valley; but the greatest curiosity is a cromlech on the Shilston estate, consisting of three supporting stones, each about six feet and a half high, with a covering stone, twelve feet long, and nine feet across the widest part. On the bank of the Teign is one of the celebrated logan, or rocking, stones, which are thought by some to be a work of design, by others of nature.