"DUNSFORD, which gives name to a deanery, is a scattered village and parish, on the northern acclivities of the picturesque valley of the river Teign, from 7 to 8 miles W. by S. of Exeter. It contains 925 souls, and about 6000 acres of land, including 72A. of waste and water, and 350A. of woodland. There are two corn-mills on the river, and a cattle fair is held in the village, on the Monday after Sept. 8th. . . . Baldwin Fulford, Esq., is lord of the manor of Dunsford, and Sir L.V. Palk is lord of Little Dunsford or Sowton manor; but part of the soil belongs J.S. Pitman, Esq., and several smaller owners. A copper mine was opened here in 1848, by B. Fulford, Esq., of FULFORD HOUSE, a large square mansion, of the Elizabethan age, in a finely wooded park of about 400 acres, stocked with deer, and having a small lake. This seat is about 8 miles W. of Exeter, between Dunsford and Tedburn St. Mary, and the estate, called Great Fulford, is partly in the latter parish. The Fulfords have possessed this estate since the reign of Richard I. . . . The small manor of Halstow, in this parish, belongs to the priest-vicars of Exeter; and that of Cetley (mostly woods) to King's College, Cambridge. The barton of Clifford belongs to the Clifford family. The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a fine old structure, and contains some handsome monuments of the Fulfords." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Dunsford parish is in Wonford Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter. Regarded by some as part of the Dartmoor area.
Brooking-Rowe, J. (Ed.). Francis Drummond Fulford [Obituary] Trans. Devon. Assoc., vol. XXXIX, (1907), p. 40. [Transcript]
Brown, Mike. Guide Notes to Monuments in Devon Churches & Graveyards: Dunsford, Moretonhampstead. The Dartmoor Press. 16pp. [Fulford, Whiddon, Fynes (Clinton)]
Cresswell, B.F. Notes on the Churches of the Deanery of Kenn, Devon, (1912). [Extracts]
Oldfield, Anne. Memorials in Dunsford Churchyard and inside the Church, (2002). [Devon FHS Library 929.5/DUN]
Transcription of the 1821 Census of Dunsford, by Fay Sampson Priestley. (The original document is in private hands.)
Dunsford - from J. Stabb. Some Old Devon Churches (London: 1908-16).
Adams, Maxwell. Sir Thomas Fulford’s Monument in Dunsford Church. Devon Notes & Queries Vol. 1, January 1900 to October 1901), pp.5-6. [Transcript]
Fulford, C.H. Notes on the history of Dunsford church. Exeter: James Townsend & Sons (1934?) 9p.
St. Mary's Church, Dunsford. [Dunsford]: [The Church] (1992) 8p. [Westcountry Studies Library - p726.5/DUN/ST.M]
Parish Registers going back to 1594 are held in the Devon Record Office.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):
- Wesleyan Chapel, Halstow: Registers for c1820-36 - see Ashburton Circuit (PRO RG 4/840)
Nothing entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).
Henwood, J. A Royal Visit, Devon Family Historian, vol. 93, (2000) pp.40-41. [Extract from Dunsford Parish register describing visit of George III to Exeter in 1789]
Ofield, Anne. Dunsford Burials, 1867-2002, The Author (2003). [Devon FHS Library 929.3/BUR Dun]
The Deanery of Dunsford: An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Ashton, Bridford, Chagford, Cheriton Bishop, Christow, Doddiscombsleigh, Drewsteignton, Dunsford, Gidleigh, Hittisleigh, Holcombe Burnell, South Tawton, Spreyton, Tedburn St. Mary, Throwleigh and Whitestone. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Devonshire Directory 1850. CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2009). [Ashton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1740-1837; Bridford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Chagford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Cheriton Bishop Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Christow Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1757-1844, Bur: 1813-1837; Doddiscombsleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1780-1837; Drewsteignton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Dunsford Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Gidleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1748-1812 (BT's), Mar: 1814-1837, Bur: 1813-1884; Hittisleigh Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Holcombe Burnell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1836, Bur: 1753-1837; South Tawton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Spreyton Bapt: 1803-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Tedburn St. Mary Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Throwleigh Bapt: 1813-1841, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Whitestone Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837.]
Hill, Ronald Ames. The Tumultuous Achym/Fulford Relationship with Abstracts of Chancery Court Proceedings and Transcripts of Chancery Decrees and Orders. Chagford Press (2003) 208pp. ["Thomas Achym of Pelynt, Cornwall was born in about 1570. His parents were William Achym and Eme Blight. He married Mary Fulford, daughter of Thomas Fulford and Ursula Bamfield, 5 January 1608/9 in Dunsford, Devon, England. They had four children. Thomas died 17 December 1618. Includes Arundell, Hill, Tozer, Toser, Trelawny and related families."] [Full text]
Pitfield, Michael. A Century in Chancery - the legal battle between two Devon families, Devon Family Historian, vol. 178, (2021) pp.17-18˚ [Fulford and Achym families].
Transcript of entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.
Copy provided by Val Henderson of the entry (description and names) in Morris and Co's Commercial Directory and Gazetteer of Devonshire 1870.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dunsford to another place.
This parish is one of the growing number of places for which the Devon Heritage website provides census or parish register transcriptions, articles, and/or illustrations, etc.
Jean, P. Dingle Family of Doddiscombsleigh and Dunsford, (2002). [Devon FHS Library p929.2/DIN]
You can see the administrative areas in which Dunsford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Martin, J.M. The Camelford of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle: Where was it? Trans. Devon. Assoc., 1897, Vol XXIX, pp. 275-285.[Index]
Amery, P.F.S. Notes on Great Fulford. Devon Notes & Queries Vol. 1, Part 1, (1900) pp.1-4, plates: ill. [Index]
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX812891 (Lat/Lon: 50.689384, -3.683198), Dunsford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Transcript of the will of Richard Mortimer (1833) provided by Ros Dunning.