Hide

hide
Hide

Dunsford

from

A Topographical Dictionary of England

by

 Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

DUNSFORD, a parish in the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 7 miles (W. by S.) from Exeter, containing 819 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £19. 10., and in the patronage of Baldwin Fulford, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a plain Norman door-way. Seven poor children are educated for about £3 per ann., the bequests of Agnes Harrison, in 1750, and others. In the parliamentary war, the manor-house, erected in the time of Elizabeth, was garrisoned by Colonel Sir Francis Fulford, its owner, for the king; but the garrison surrendered to Fairfax, in 1645.