Hide

East Buckland

hide
Hide

"BUCKLAND, (EAST) a small village and parish, 5½ miles N.N.W. of South Molton, contains 167 inhabitants, and 1384 acres of land, mostly the property of Earl Fortescue, the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £9. 1s. 8d., and in 1831 at £324, with that of Filleigh annexed to it. The Rev Henry Hutton, M.A., is the incumbent, and has here 40A, of glebe, and a good residence at Filleigh. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1837, for £144. 10s. per annum. The Church (St. Michael,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. A cottage and 10A. of land have been vested from an early period for the repairs of the church, except £2. 10s. 6d. per annum for the clerk and sexton." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

A parish in Braunton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

MIs for this parish are included in the Devon FHS and NDA North Devon indexes - see under Cemeteries on the main Devon page.

A transcription of the Memorial Inscriptions for the Church of St Michael is held in the Society of Genealogist's Library, in Vol. 8 of Devon Memorial inscriptions (DE/M23).

topup

Census

Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler. [Covers 1881 census records for this parish]

topup

Church Records

Parish Registers going back to 1684 are held in the Devon Record Office.

The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Marriages 1754-1837 - for details see their book list.

Other churches and chapels (with pre-1840 records):

  • Wesleyan Chapel: Registers for c1807-31 - see Barnstaple circuit, Bideford (PRO RG 4/954, 955)

Nothing transcribed into the IGI (as of Jan 1993).

East Buckland Baptisms 1837 - 1911. [Devon]: Devon Family History Society (2013).

An index of baptisms, marriages and burials in the parishes of Arlington, Ashford, Berrynarbor, Bittadon, Bratton Fleming, Braunton, Brendon, Challacombe, Charles, Combe Martin, Countisbury, East Buckland, East Down, Georgeham, Goodleigh, Heanton Punchardon, High Bray, Ilfracombe, Kentisbury, Loxhore, Lynton, Martinhoe, Marwood, Mortehoe, Parracombe, Shirwell, Stoke Rivers, Trentishoe, West Buckland and West Down. With photographs of the churches and extracts from White's Directory (1850) and Kelly's Directory of Devonshire (1902), CD-ROM, Exeter, Devon FHS (2015). [Arlington Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1814-1837; Ashford Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1747-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Berrynarbor Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Bittadon Bapt: 1813-1843, Mar: 1754-1835, Bur: 1815-1843; Bratton Fleming Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; Braunton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Brendon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Challacombe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1822-1848; Charles Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Combe Martin Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Countisbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1755-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; East Buckland Bapt: 1813-1838, Mar: 1755-1836, Bur: 1813-1839; East Down Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1839, Bur: 1813-1852; Georgeham Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Goodleigh Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Heanton Punchardon Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1800-1837; High Bray Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1756-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Ilfracombe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Kentisbury Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1841, Bur: 1813-1837; Loxhore Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Lynton Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1838; Martinhoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Marwood Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Mortehoe Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1750-1837; Parracombe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1598-1838, Bur: 1813-1838; Shirwell Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; Stoke Rivers Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1839; Trentishoe Bapt: 1813-1839, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1837; West Buckland Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1851; West Down Bapt: 1813-1840, Mar: 1754-1837, Bur: 1813-1840.]

topup

Description & Travel

Section on East Buckland from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.

You can see pictures of East Buckland which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Transcript of complete entry in White's Devonshire Directory of 1850.

topup

Gazetteers

The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which East Buckland has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Cotsford, E.J. Local History of East Buckland. Torquay: E.J. Cotsford (1969) 22p. [Westcountry Studies Library - B/EAS 3/0001/COT]

Huxtable, East Buckland: the story of a North Devon farm and its neighbours. West Buckland, North Devon [England]: B. Payne,1993, 104 pp. ill., maps. ISBN: 0952105500.

topup

Maps

View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS677313 (Lat/Lon: 51.065744, -3.889494), East Buckland which are provided by:

topup

Names, Personal

East Buckland contributors to a 1678 brief for the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral.

Ryall, David. Lest We Forget, War memorials around South Molton. South Molton Archive, 68pp. [ISBN 0 951236 1 4] [Provides an indexed list of names]

topup

Societies

South Molton and District Archive Local History Society web-site (archived copy) - provides details of archive holdings for the twenty-eight parishes in what used to be the South Molton Rural District, lists of publications, etc.