"EAST BUDLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of East Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 4 miles to the W. of Sidmouth. Exeter is its post town. It is pleasantly situated near the coast of the English Channel, a mile from the river Otter, and contains the village and watering-place of Budleigh Salterton, and the hamlets of Great and Little Knowle, and Kersbrook. The ancient chapelry of Withycombe-Raleigh was separated from this parish on the death of the late vicar, in 1852, and is a parish by itself. East Budleigh was once a market town, and a place of sufficient importance to give name to the hundred. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £300, in the patronage of the trustees of Lord Rolle. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a chapel belonging to the Independents in the village. Large and handsome National schools, with a master's house attached, have been lately built by the trustees of Drake's Charity, with an endowment of £55 a year. The charitable endowments amount to £109 8s. 1d. per annum. Hayes, an old mansion, now occupied as a farmhouse, is interesting as the birthplace (1552) of Sir Walter Raleigh. A fair is held on Easter Monday.
"BUDLEIGH SALTERTON, a village in the parish and hundred of East Budleigh, in the county of Devon, 6 miles to the S.W. of Sidmouth, and 14 miles to the S.E. of Exeter. The nearest railway station is Exmouth. It is seated on the coast of the English Channel, at the mouth of the river Otter, in a pleasant valley, along both sides of which the houses are scattered. There is a good beach, the cliffs rising to the height of 250 feet at some points, and numerous visitors frequent the village in the summer. The stream is crossed by several pretty rustic bridges. The curacy is annexed to the vicarage of East Budleigh, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Wesleyans and Baptists have chapels here. In the village are a coastguard station, a mechanics' institute, and National schools."
"GREAT and LITTLE KNOWLE, hamlets in the parish of East Budleigh, county Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Sidmouth.